Board talks city budget

Board-of-Estimates-_MM
Lobbying group AFSCME, wearing green, came to the Board of Estimates meeting in protest of a measure that would replace parking garage cashiers with multispace meters.[/media-credit]

A sea of green t-shirts and a panel of council members gathered for Monday night’s Board of Estimates meeting, both citizens and alders asking equally pressing questions about the capital budget for 2011.

The issue of staffing at Madison libraries was revisited, and central library employee Ben Ratliffe asked how the city intended to staff new branches of libraries. City library employees have been leaving their “dead end” jobs in favor of University of Wisconsin library positions, Ratliffe said.

While facilities are being increased, jobs seem to be decreasing.

Ratliffe emphasized the need to help others through use of computers to search for jobs and write resumes.

Ratliffe added his ideal approach would be to tax higher income individuals in favor of improving education and libraries.

“The city needs a chop from the top approach,” Ratliffe said

Madison’s Overture Center also became a central issue during a closed session at the end of Monday’s meeting.

Prominent downtown resident Rosemary Lee said she felt concerned with an increase in property taxes due to maintenance costs to the Overture Center.

Lee said elderly citizens have trouble paying for necessities such as food and medication, and the rising property tax would add financial strain.

The concerns addressed by private citizens previewed issues to be discussed by the board at length for Wednesday’s meeting.

Various divisions receiving city funding presented their plans for spending in 2011 and beyond as well.

Madison Metro revealed plans for surveillance cameras to enhance customer service on para-transit buses. Plans were presented to reconstruct fare boxes to eventually be compatible with Wiscards as bus passes.

Metro representatives also outlined their plan to hire a consultant to improve the bus system. The plan included ideas for improving conditions at the east transfer point and the overcrowding in bus parking locations.

In addition to the transportation and Overture proposals, the Madison Police Department presented plans to improve training facilities. The first phase of the plan begins in May 2011 and will create new classrooms and locker rooms. The second phase includes an indoor shooting range, while a third phase will develop an auditorium, computer lab and fitness center in 2012.

The Madison Fire Department also made an appearance at the meeting to restate their criteria for the establishment of new stations. They also included improved medical equipment and security for their facilities.

The City Channel announced intentions to improve equipment such as cameras and studio controls. A new fiber optic network was proposed in order to send clearer broadcast signals to both Charter and AT&T cable networks.

AFSCME spokesperson Tim Birkley voiced concerns about replacing parking garage cashiers with multi-space parking meters, with echoes of approval from those wearing the green AFSCME shirts.

Water utility representatives also spoke, detailing their plans for a water main replacement program as well as for a new monthly billing system with proposed 7 to 8 percent bill increases.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz questioned the sustainability of such an increase in rates over the course of a decade.