Committee decision allows breathing room for businesses

ALRC_LK
Shiva Bidar-Sielaff was among the sponsors of a proposal to repeal a clause forcing businesses to fill their leases within 365 days of closing.[/media-credit]

The city’s Alcohol License Review Committee unanimously approved the effective repeal of an ordinance requiring vacant alcohol-selling establishments to fill their tenancy within 365 days to maintain their location’s designation under the ordinance.

The ordinance, set to expire this coming October, has come under scrutiny in recent months by representatives from area businesses and local policymakers who say they feel the 365-day period is not enough time to fill the vacancy.

Among the most frequently cited reason for this opposition is the current economic climate. Business owners have said the recession makes it difficult for a prospective business to enter into a lease and thrive in such a short amount of time.

“Given today’s economic circumstances, this provision in this ordinance, I believe, is having unintended consequences,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Business Improvement District Executive Director Mary Carbine cited what she described as a “saturation” of restaurants in the downtown area as a result of the ordinance. These restaurants, many of which hold alcohol licenses, exist only to hold a place in the city’s density plan.

Sam Polstein, vice chair of the Associated Students of Madison’s Legislative Affairs Committee, said this portion of the ordinance must be repealed to facilitate further growth and development in the downtown area.

“Students want to see a thriving downtown,” Polstein said. “Students want to see a downtown with many options.”

Verveer said the decision to repeal is in reality just a suspension of the ordinance given its upcoming expiration.

Mark Woulf, University of Wisconsin senior and ALRC member, said the focus of the city’s Alcohol License Density Plan is to keep the amount of bars in the downtown area low, providing for the safety and well-being of residents. The 365-day portion of the plan could be addressed because of its coming expiration.

“I don’t think we jeopardize this because it is temporary,” Woulf said.

The repeal of the 365-day clause will be voted on by City Council when it meets again next month.

The ALRC also heard a number of license applications throughout the night.

Korey Bannerman and Tom DeQuattro, representing The Pub on State Street, successfully came before the committee seeking approval of 21+ Entertainment License.

The license, they said, would allow them to bring in bands to entertain patrons while maintaining an atmosphere catering to the bar’s current patrons, those of legal drinking age.

They said they intend to close the establishment for a time shortly after classes end to renovate the building. Among the renovations slated for this summer include new bathrooms, maintenance of the ceiling and new flooring.

Bannerman noted there had previously been discussions regarding the changing of the establishment’s name. The proposed name, Whiskey River Saloon, has since been reconsidered given what they perceive to be the legacy of the State Street establishment.

Representatives of the establishment said the management of the bar had improved considerably in recent months, but that they are committed to responding the needs of the community.

“It’s become somewhat of a Madison institution, but not always with a sterling reputation,” Rick Petri, BID member and the attorney representing the two said.