ALRC gathers feedback in downtown bar crawl

Members of the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee visited a number of downtown establishments Friday evening in an attempt to better understand the effects of their policymaking and enforcement with respect to the liveliness and occasional mayhem that is Madison’s nightlife scene.

Although a number of establishments had lines out the door and keen security supervising the flow of patrons into them, getting into any of the city’s bars for the group was streamlined significantly with a police escort.

ALRC member Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said there was a pattern to the establishments visited throughout the night. Every establishment fit into one of three categories — new businesses, establishments that host live entertainment and those that have had issues or violations in the past concerning their alcohol licenses and practices.

“I was submitted to a lot of eye-opening things during last year’s tour,” ALRC member Pam Bean said. “I think that patrons for the most part were very well-behaved this time; there were a handful of intoxicated people, which in a college town can be expected.”

The committee members in attendance, Verveer, Bean, ALRC chair David Hart and Alcohol Policy Coordinator Katherine Plominski, were led by Capt. Carl Gloede of the Madison Police Department. The tour, beginning shortly after 11 p.m. at Natt Spil on King Street culminated shortly before bar time at Segredo on University Avenue.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz requires ALRC members to attend a tour of establishments or take part in a police ride-along each year, Verveer said. By doing this, members are able to monitor the effects of their policies and ensure the establishments are following through with committee suggestions.

“The thought is that many committee members don’t have a lot of experience in these establishments,” Verveer added.

Few establishments yielded any substantial concerns by committee members throughout the night. One small incident at Logan’s on West Johnson Street however, highlighted the role of establishment owners with respect to patron safety.

Staff working at the door had been letting in patrons at a slower rate to help lessen the stress on servers and staff inside, something ALRC members felt was a good decision. But as a result of this process, a considerable line had formed, and patrons waiting to be let in began to crowd the sidewalk, in some cases going into the street.

“They have a responsibility as well to keep it safe outside,” Gloede said.

Gloede added population density in the downtown area could contribute greatly to the possibility for safety and enforcement issues. The large number of high-rise housing complexes and student housing has made bars and other establishments at times overcrowded.

The issue of the “sober server” ordinance came up repeatedly throughout the night. The proposed ordinance, currently being revised and discussed, would limit the drinking of alcohol by bartenders and establishment employees.

“I got a better understanding of what the role of the server is,” Bean said. “They have so many things to control — safety, getting drinks, monitoring how intoxicated people are.”