Zimmermann murder investigation continues

Zimmerman_JS
Madison Police officers collect evidence on the scene following the brutal murder of Brittany Zimmermann April 2, 2008.[/media-credit]

Though it has been almost two years since the University of Wisconsin campus was shaken by the murder of junior Brittany Zimmermann, the Madison Police Department are still confident they will find her murderer.

Zimmermann was found stabbed in her apartment at 517 W. Doty St. on April 2, 2008.

According to search warrants released in December 2008, a call was placed from her cell phone to the Dane County 911 Center’s emergency line at 12:20 p.m., but was disconnected despite “the sound of a woman screaming and…background sounds of a struggle for a short period of time.”

Center dispatcher Rita Gahagan took the call but did not send the police, due to a series of errors. This decision was later the subject of a wrongful death lawsuit from the family against Dane County, its executive, Kathleen Falk and Gahagan. The lawsuit was ultimately dismissed.

Zimmermann’s fianc? Jordan Gonnering later called 911 at 1:08 p.m. after finding her dead in the apartment. Police arrived within seven minutes to find Gonnering trembling and weeping, with Zimmermann lying on the ground next to him.

According to the search warrants, Zimmermann died from “complex homicidal violence including multiple stab wounds and strangulation.”

While no weapon was found at the scene, investigators found foreign DNA on Zimmermann and took a total of 23 DNA swabs, 10 fingerprints, nine partial footwear prints, 18 blood samples, a pair of bloody women’s slippers and computer paper with apparent blood spots.

Today, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain says investigators are still working hard on the case.

“We have people very dedicated to this case and have been working on it since the day she died two years ago,” DeSpain said. “I go by their desk frequently, and the amount of info they have amassed is mind-boggling.”

He said there are people in the Madison community MPD suspects to have more information about the case, but have not yet come forward. He added he hopes reward funds may lead to those people coming forth with the needed information.

While MPD offers up to a $1,000 Crime Stoppers reward fund, DeSpain said they have been working closely with the family who is offering a private reward for anyone with more information on her death.

The Zimmermann family first offered a reward of $5,000 on Sept. 6, 2008 and began to accept donations through the Marshfield Medical Center Credit Union. Since then, the reward fund has tripled and now stands at $15,000, according to mother Jean Zimmermann.

Jean Zimmermann added her and her husband, in memory of Brittany Zimmermann’s 24th birthday on Nov. 15, also rented a billboard on West Washington Ave. and bought advertisements on every Metro Bus, which contain her picture and the total reward money.

“I have to be [hopeful]. If we don’t have hope, then we have absolutely nothing,” Jean Zimmermann said. “It’s the only thing that keeps us going every day. We’re really hoping someone comes forward.”

The family has also created an annual scholarship, which goes to a Marshfield High School senior — Brittany Zimmerman’s alma mater — who will attend the UW. Last year, the award totaled $1,000, and on May 26, Jean Zimmermann said they would be announcing the next scholarship winner who will receive $1,500.

All in all, two years after her death, all her family can do is plea for help.

“We definitely need some answers,” Jean Zimmermann said. “I don’t know if anyone realizes that we don’t know anything about what happened to her that day. People working on her case…are unable to tell us anything at all. So, two years later, we have no idea how she actually died.”

MPD also remains confident they will find her killer.

“We have solid forensic evidence and we have good leads, and not at any point in time has this case gone cold,” DeSpain said. “We believe we will find the killer and bring them to justice.”