Organizers begin preparations for Mifflin Street Block Party

Organizers from last year’s Mifflin Street Block Party presented initial plans to the city’s Street Use Staff Commission Wednesday morning in one of many steps to be taken in preparation for the annual event.

Local production company DCNY PRO, comprised of David Coleman and Ny Bass, is looking to build off of the success of last year’s event, which the pair helped to plan.

The 2009 event marked the Mifflin Street Block Party’s first sponsorship since 1995. DCNY paired with student radio station WSUM 91.7 FM to organize the event and provide entertainment in the form of a stage showcasing DJs.

City agencies, including the Madison Police Department, Madison Fire Department and Streets Division, are currently working in conjunction with DCNY and WSUM to formulate the plans for this year’s event set to take place Saturday May 1.

“This year we’re going to make some changes that we think could make the event more successful,” Coleman said.

Among the changes proposed are increased availability of restroom facilities and the addition of a beer garden to better provide for out-of-town visitors who may not have contact with Mifflin Street residents. Coleman added he feels providing a venue open to attendees could help prevent congestion and strangers entering student houses.

“We’re confident it could cut down on the number of random people wandering into house parties,” Bass said.

Prior to the meeting, there had been discussions for the event to last from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., with alcohol sales beginning around 10 a.m. MPD representative Lt. Kristen Roman said she would like to see sales begin later in the day, preferably around noon in order to discourage excessive drinking, with sales concluding at 6:30 p.m. and the event’s commencement following at 7 p.m.

“Everything really went well; we didn’t get the sponsorship to do everything we wanted to do last year, and that was things like a second stage and the beer garden,” Coleman said. “The city didn’t have the confidence in us to let us do all these things, but the first time, it seems, may have been the worst time.”

“And really, it wasn’t all that bad,” Bass added.