RTA: Referendum needed before taxing

RTA_SG
Members of the communities represented on the RTA, as well as those from the surrounding areas, were able to give their input at the meeting Thursday.[/media-credit]

The Dane County Regional Transit Authority adopted a resolution Thursday requiring a referendum be passed before establishing a county sales tax.

The RTA was created to address the planning, funding and implementation of possible mass transit systems in Dane County. Though in the works for many months, the RTA only yesterday appointed its chairpersons and sat down to begin formulating a plan of action.

Comprised of representatives appointed by County Executive Kathleen Falk, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and the mayors of the surrounding municipalities of Fitchburg, Middleton and Sun Prairie, the RTA brings together experts in land management, planning, development and former county supervisors.

RTA Chairperson Dick Wagner said the panel’s goal is to create a far-sighted vision for transportation as the community continues to grow. The RTA intends to include a plan for transit before presenting the referendum to voters, which would secure funding and allow the board to move forward.

“I know that you’re going to be taking up the issue of referendum, challenge us with a bold vision, impact where we live and work,” County Board Chair Scott McDonell, District 1, said to the panel.

After the public voiced its opinions as to whether the RTA should establish a timeline for drafting the referendum, the board opted to postpone setting a date.

Vice Chairperson Mark Opitz said the first steps the board will take include establishing committees and collecting data to begin formulating a transit plan. Two committees suggested were a policy and citizen advisory committee.

Wagner presented the idea for a policy advisory committee, which would involve communities not appointed a representative to the RTA. The citizen advisory committee would allow local residents to provide the board with their input, as well.

Board member Kristine Euclide said the meeting’s large turnout showed the public has great interest in how the project will proceed. While opinions varied about setting a date for the referendum, nearly all who spoke agreed a complete plan addressing the public’s input is central to the process.

“The board needs to shape the referendum so it asks the city and the county what they want instead of you deciding for them,” Madison resident Kirsten Lombard said.

Opitz said the RTA is committed to responding to the needs of the metropolitan area, including the University of Wisconsin campus. Wagner said the campus is an important economic engine for the region and a key factor in the future of transit.

The RTA’s potential transit options are not limited to commuter rail. Shared-ride taxis and commuter buses are other forms of transportation the board can consider, Oregon resident Hans Noeldner said.

“[The RTA] needs to walk before they run and my hope is that they focus on those other services,” Noeldner said.

The board will also be working extensively with the Metropolitan Planning Organization, the transportation planning group implemented under federal law, Wagner said.

The RTA also discussed the location of future hearings. The board will consider alternating locations to provide a chance for other communities to voice their opinions and become involved.