Center for Interfaith Dialogue to hold opening reception

Center aims to give students resources, programming to facilitate religious diversity, literacy
Sophia Scolman

The University of Wisconsin Center for Interfaith Dialogue will host an opening reception at the Pyle Center Thursday at 4:30 p.m.

Directed by Ulrich Rosenhagen, the new center — which replaced the Center for Religion and Global Citizenry over the summer — aims to provide students with resources and programs for religious and spiritual diversity, identity, literacy, spiritual well-being and engagement according to the center’s website.

The CID works with the ideology that every person holds some form of core convictions whether they be religious or not and that these convictions are a part of their identity, Rosenhagen said.

NBA All-Star Michael Finley to deliver keynote address at winter commencement

“Religion is a core aspect of anyone’s identity, or if you’re not religious, then you have to say something about your core convictions,” Rosenhagen said. “There is some form of faith that is not grounded in what people would call the divine or sacredness, but you still have to have core convictions around some sort of faith, and that is part of your identity.”

Rosenhagen first proposed the center’s establishment to Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor before the pandemic. But, the vision for the center and framework for its purpose on campus did not fully develop until July 2022 and did not secure funding from the Office of Student Affairs until June 2023, Rosenhagen said.

At this time, Rosenhagen and his colleagues were able to establish the Center for Interfaith Dialogue at the Pyle Center on Langdon Street, replacing the pre-existing Center for Religion and Global Citizenry.

Albanian American Student Organization returns to campus

The center’s programming will revolve around the notion that the world is not black and white but rather highly diverse and there needs to be a place for people of different cultures and identities to find common ground, Rosenhagen said.

CID will host events and programs throughout the year, including Chabad and Iftar services for the Jewish and Muslim communities through collaboration with UW Hillel and the Muslim Student Association on campus, Rosenhagen said.

Through CID, Rosenhagen wishes to bring UW’s religious and non-religious communities together, where students can form meaningful and cohesive relationships with people of different perspectives and fundamental beliefs.

For a comprehensive guide to the Center for Interfaith Dialogue’s event schedule, visit their website.

Editors note: This article was updated to correct a hyperlink leading to the Center for Interfaith Dialogue’s website.