Former UW student sentenced to three years probation for campus sexual assault

Sentenced to three years probation for 4th degree sexual assault
Jason Chan

A former University of Wisconsin student was sentenced to three years probation for a sexual assault he committed in a Southeast residence hall in 2014.

Douglas Gill, 20, was sentenced for one felony count of false imprisonment, which is the restraint of a person without consent. He was also sentenced for two counts of fourth degree sexual assault, a misdemeanor.

Gill entered a no contest plea and was found guilty. His probation conditions dictate that he must “maintain absolute sobriety” and cannot have any contact, direct or indirect, with the victim.

The sexual assault took place May 2, 2014 at 11:30 p.m., according to a University of Wisconsin Police Department statement.

The victim reported the sexual assault to UWPD on May 10, which “immediately started an investigation.” Gill was initially arrested for charges of third degree sexual assault and false imprisonment, according to the statement.

The victim reported to UWPD that Gill had been “drinking alcohol and snorting cocaine prior to the assault,” according to the statement.