Semester that was: Memorial Union reveals continued renovation plans

With the first phase of the Memorial Union Reinvestment set to open in July, developers revealed plans for the second phase in September.

Phase II will update the interior of the union. An Italian restaurant, an Asian restaurant, a Badger Market and a deli will replace Lakefront on Langdon. The plan will also include mechanical updates, changes to the landscaping around the building and making the Union universally accessible.

The renovations are estimated to cost $46 million. Student segregated fees will cover 58 percent of construction costs while donations, and Union operating revenues will fund the remainder.

A preservation plan by the Wisconsin State Historical Society outlined which parts of the building needed to be maintained to maintain its historic integrity, including Der Rathskeller.

Minor improvements will be made to the Terrace, but it will remain open throughout the summer months.

The east side of Memorial Union may be closed for two years once construction begins on Phase II.

In addition, plans include the creation of Alumni Park, a green space funded by the Wisconsin Alumni Association, that will be across from the east side of Memorial Union.