‘Bec-Key Lime Pie’ ice cream flavor a hit

Chancellor Rebecca Blank will start her first semester at the University of Wisconsin with a Babcock Dairy Store Key lime pie and graham cracker swirled ice-cream dubbed “Bec-Key Lime Pie.”

The university decided to crowd source the name and flavor of its second chancellor-themed ice cream, Babcock Dairy Plant Manager Bill Klein said. Former Chancellor Biddy Martin’s flavor was named “Strawbiddy Swirl.”

More than 400 suggestions were made on Facebook and Twitter for Blank’s flavor, Klein said.

In collaboration with UW spokesperson Vince Sweeney, Klein narrowed down the hundreds of suggestions to a short list of four, ensuring the names matched the flavors.

“Bec-Key Lime Pie” ultimately won Blank’s approval over other suggestions including “Teach me how to Becky” and “Blankenberry,” Klein said. Mary Jensen, who submitted the winning name, will win a gift of ice cream for her contribution, a UW statement said.

According to Klein, Babcock Dairy Store has not sold a key lime flavored ice cream in quite some time and has been seeing great sales with the Blank-inspired one.

“Number one, everyone has loved the ice cream and number two everyone likes the name,” Klein said. “Especially for the chancellor, we need a flavor that is good.”

The flavor is currently being sold at the Babcock Dairy Store and has been distributed around campus for sale beginning Sept. 1, the statement said. It will be available until the 300 gallon supply of the flavor is sold, the statement said.