Campus bus routes shift; long waits expected

Students will likely notice some significant changes to both campus bus routes and moped parking policy and fees this semester.

The University of Wisconsin Transportation Services implemented service updates to eight Metro routes, including routes 6, 11, 25, 44, 70, 80, 81, 82 and discontinued route 85.

Route 85 has been combined into an updated Route 80 service, according to a statement from Madison Metro Transit.

In addition, SAFEbus Route 81 has been adjusted to run at the same frequency as route 82, at 30-minute intervals, UW Transportation Services spokesperson Michelle Bacon said in an email to The Badger Herald.

Routes 80, 81 and 82 were adjusted to accommodate Memorial Union construction, she said.

She added that University Housing funds approximately six percent of the campus bus service, with Associated Students of Madison and Transportation Services equally funding the balance. 

“Because of the Transportation Services’ budget deficit and a decision by ASM’s Student Transportation Board to hold funding at current levels, campus bus costs were reduced to the level of available funding,” she said.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said the reality for those using the bus system this year is longer wait times.

The changes will impact all students, especially those that live farther away from campus, Resnick said.

He said the university has made an effort for decades to bring campus housing closer to campus, but the students that live farther away in areas like Main Street and West Washington will now have to face a longer waiting time.

However, he said some routes will expand after Langdon Street construction is finished.

In addition to the bus route changes, UW students will also see changes in the moped parking policy, effective Sept. 1.

The new policy restricts moped owners to one parking spot on campus, Bacon said.

“Permit holders will have to park in the lot associated with their permit,” she said. “There are six all-access lots on campus that any valid permit holder can park in at any time during the day.”

After 4:30 p.m., all moped lots are open and available for parking, Bacon said.

The main reason for these parking changes is safety, she said, particularly in the core of campus during class changes.

Statistics indicate an average of 30-40 injury-producing accidents occur each year as a result of mopeds in the campus area, Bacon said.

If moped owners do not follow the new parking policy, citations will be in the $40 range, and any moped that must be relocated because of safety will incur a $75 fee, she said.

The permit rate for mopeds is $120, up from $85 last year, Bacon said. Despite the price increase, UW Transportation Services has sold over 700 permits in the first two weeks, she added.

Moped owner Jordan Olson, a senior, said she is not looking forward to the new policy, particularly the price hike for the permit.

“The price increase is absolutely ridiculous for only parking in one lot,” she said. “It’s a complete inconvenience for those that work in labs or off campus between classes.”

Student government decided to eliminate the SAFEcab program. Bacon said Transportation Services encourages students and staff to utilize the SAFEwalk program as an alternative.