Walk instills importance of suicide prevention on UW

suicide_JS
Members of the UW community take a stance against suicide and work to educate the public on prevention through a fundraising walk Saturday.[/media-credit]

Hundreds of students and community members sporting green shirts that read, “Ask, Listen, Save” gathered at Library Mall Saturday morning to participate in the second annual Suicide Prevention Walk.

Organized by the University of Wisconsin Suicide Prevention Committee, the event sought to eliminate the stigmas of suicide and depression and to increase awareness around suicide prevention.

As of Sunday, the walk has raised about $28,000 for its sponsor, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, surpassing its goal of $25,000, Walk Committee Head Michael Harvey said.

The event kicked off with an opening ceremony and continued to entertain the supporters with a university a cappella group, dance performances, a skit and speeches by event organizers, University Health Services representatives and honored guests who were impacted by suicide.

Jackie Bruggink and Maddy Flynn, from Brookfield, Wis., shared their story about one of their best friends who lost her life to suicide last March.

“We have become more aware of how prevalent suicide is,” Bruggink said. “We want to share [her] story with the hopes that we can help others.”

Harvey also delivered a speech about the importance of awareness of suicide and how to prevent it, as nearly 1,100 students commit suicide every year on American college campuses.

“This problem is overlooked,” he said. “People are scared to talk about it because it’s an uncomfortable subject, but it shouldn’t have to be.”

Harvey also said the UW Suicide Prevention Committee is working with UHS to change and improve current mental health services. He said the committee wants students to feel comfortable talking to UHS about depression and other related mental health issues.

Danielle Oakley, director of Mental Health Services at UHS, urged the audience to be an open door to everyone on campus. She added all people need to do is “ask a question, listen to the answer and save a life.”

UW sophomore Katie Klinger said depression has been prevalent in her family and she has lost family members and friends to suicide.

“I want people to know that depression is way more prevalent on college campuses than people think, and I think this event will encourage people who struggle with it to talk about it,” Klinger said.

Claire Kaufman, founder and former president of the UW Suicide Prevention Committee, said this year the group attempted to increase its target market to not only those who have been affected by suicide, but also to those who are unaware of its effects.

The committee issued more advertisements and tried to motivate students to make an effort to raise awareness, she added.

Kaufman said the committee wants to make UHS student friendly and that the Suicide Prevention Walk is a perfect way to initiate action within the community.

“When people attend the walk, for whatever reason, they will see how many people have been affected by this issue. I think it really opens their eyes. I also hope they see that if students speak up, they really can make a difference,” Kaufman said.

Donations to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention can be made online at www.afsp.org. The UHS 24-hour Crisis line can be reached at 608-265-5600, the Madison Crisis Line at 608-250-2600 and the National Suicide Prevention Line at 800-273-8255.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated 11,000 students commit suicide each year on college campuses. The number is actually 1,100. We regret the error.