SLAC pushes UW to break Adidas contract after allegations of labor violations

Chanting “We are unstoppable, another world is possible,” students congregated on Bascom Hill on Friday to push the university into breaking off its apparel contract with Adidas.

Members of the Student Labor Action Coalition headed up the protest outside of Interim Chancellor David Ward’s office in its continued effort to bring the issue to light on campus.

This protest reflected the most recent development in a back-and-forth between the University of Wisconsin and Adidas, which began last fall. After Ward enlisted the Workers Rights Consortium to look into worker rights allegations against an Indonesian Adidas-subcontracted factory, the group found Adidas responsible for breaking code of conduct.

The WRC found in its investigation that Adidas pulled out of a contract with a factory in Indonesia, leaving 2,800 workers without their legally mandated severance pay.

After WRC released this report, Ward gave Adidas about two weeks to respond. In its statement released Feb. 2, Adidas denied liability for the pay with the reasoning that they could not be held responsible for actions of a factory owner.

Student Jonah Zinn, a Letters and Science representative for Associated Students of Madison and SLAC member, said he wanted to challenge Ward to move forward to cut ties with Adidas.

“He’s been stalling, and we really want to convince him that we do not have time,” he said.

On Friday, students from SLAC played a video of testimonies from the fired workers in Indonesia, who said Adidas’s departure was abrupt and had devastated and puzzled their families.

As a demonstration, the attendees ripped up fake contracts in front of Ward’s office and tossed them into the trash in order to show how easy they believed it would be to stop the injustice.

SLAC has a history of protesting labor contracts on Bascom Hill, famously bringing former UW Chancellor Biddy Martin a cake to thank her for shedding ties with Nike for their overseas labor practices.

Madison Area Technical College student Tina Trevito-Murphy said she felt Ward’s decision should be an easy one.

“What is the point of a contract if you don’t enforce it”? Murphy said.

She continued on with telling the audience that SLAC feels this cause is not just something that students are working on, but that “there is a real face to this issue.”