Key campus manager to depart for John Hopkins position

Fish_Alan_hs09_5320
Chancellor for Facilities Alan Fish announces he will leave UW after more than 20 years on campus. Fish leaves behind a long legacy of campus projects.[/media-credit]

A key figure in University of Wisconsin facilities management and major building projects on campus with more than 20 years of experience announced he will be departing UW in January after accepting a prestigious post at John Hopkins University in Baltimore.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities Alan Fish will assume the mantle of vice president of real estate and campus services on the Maryland campus, according to a statement from UW. He will work with members of John Hopkins University to oversee all of the campus’ utilities and transportation systems in the post.

Fish said he was excited to start in the new office.

“Johns Hopkins is a tremendous research and teaching institution with a global reputation for excellence, and being part of that team is very exciting,” he said.

Fish has managed UW facilities and buildings since being appointed as associate vice chancellor in 2002, according to the statement.

During this tenure at UW, he authorized several construction projects which have changed the face of campus, including Union South and the new Lakeshore Residence Hall, the statement said. His time as Vice Chancellor also marks the largest UW expansion in buildings since the 1960s.

Fish contributed to about $2.5 billion worth of projects that are either completed, in construction or in planning and design phases, the statement said.

Of his achievements on campus, Fish said the university’s recent commitment to sustainability and conservation are among his proudest and he will miss the campus and his colleagues.

“I love the setting that we’re in here with great parks and lakes [as well as] really amazing amenities that we have,” he said. “There is some regret – I’ve spent over 22 years in Madison and made a lot of friends.”

Fish first entered UW in 1989 as administrative officer and associate athletic director, according to the statement. Since then, he played a roll in creating UW facilities such as the Kohl Center and the Porter Boathouse.

The post at Johns Hopkins presents a new set of challenges and experiences, Fish said.

“I think it’s just the newness of the whole environment,” he said. “[There will be] a whole new set of opportunities and obstacles to figure out, [and] that is what is very exciting about this.”