Athletic Board preps for leadership change

The University of Wisconsin Athletic Board will see a major personnel change as student-athletes begin heading into the fall semester.

Walter Dickey, UW law school professor and Athletic Board chair, stepped down from the board to begin working with Athletic Director Barry Alvarez as senior associate athletic director.

UW veterinary medicine professor Dale Bjorling will replace Dickey as chair of the Athletic Board.

Having served on the board for the past eight years, Dickey has been chair for the past six. He has also served as a faculty representative to the Big Ten and NCAA and worked on the Big Ten’s executive, compliance and finance committees.

Dickey retired from teaching prior to receiving Alvarez’s offer. He expects to continue teaching part-time while on the senior staff.

“I had just retired from the faculty when Barry Alvarez asked if I would join the senior staff. It took a lot of discussion and thought, but I agreed,” said Dickey.

Dickey’s legal background will be helpful to the staff following the exit of two senior staff members. Bjorling said Dickey’s move will allow him to lend his expertise in legal matters to the staff.

“[Dickey] has a great deal of experience with compliance issues and will be able to provide the department a lot of assistance in that area, especially now with these absences,” Bjorling said.

During his tenure on Athletic Board since 2005, Bjorling also served on several committees within Athletics, co-chairing the academic compliance committee for the past four years.

Dickey led the Athletic Board when it came under the scrutiny of an ad hoc committee between 2008-09 after allegations members were being intimidated and university procedure was not being followed. The committee’s report did not find any evidence to back those claims.

Dickey said Bjorling is a good replacement as his experience with the board will be beneficial in handling the chair position.

“[Bjorling’s] experience and strong character are requirements of the job, as you tend to receive a lot of criticism,” Dickey said.

Bjorling said it is important the board continue working with the Athletic Department to ensure student athletes are getting the best possible academic experience. He has no major plans for change at the moment.

“At this time, I don’t think any large-scale changes are needed,” Bjorling said. “We just need to provide the Athletic Department with insight and assistance into the academic side of the student-athlete experience.”