UW electrician dies after incident in Humanities

A University of Wisconsin electrician was pronounced dead Tuesday following a suspected electrocution incident in the Humanities building.

Brad Krause, 40, of Sun Prairie, Wis. was pronounced dead at approximately 5:15 p.m. in a Madison hospital.

According to a statement from UW, Krause, a member of UW Electrician perth for seven years, was shocked while working on wiring in an attic above Mills Concert Hall at approximately 4:15p.m., when a 911 call was placed.

The Madison Fire Department’s Heavy Urban Rescue Team was summoned after MFD personnel arrived, as the location of the victim was accessible only via ladders through a constricted space, a statement from the City of Madison said.

A unit that specializes in emergencies with unique circumstances, HURT was able to lower Krause to a waiting gurney using a ropes and harness system.

Krause was then transported to UW Hospital, where he could not be revived.

While Park St. from University Ave. to Langdon St. was closed when emergency personnel were on scene, there was no immediate danger to passerby.

In statement to the campus community, Interim Chancellor David Ward offered his sympathies to those closest to Krause.

“As a university community, we send our most sincere condolences and our warmest thoughts to [Krause’s] family, friends and colleagues. We are grateful for his service to our university and stunned by the tragic accident that led to his death,” he said.

Ward also thanked the emergency personnel who came to Krause’s aid. The statement also said an investigation has launched into the cause of the incident, the details of which will not be available until its completion.

University officials urged anyone affected by the incident to seek help, stating the Employee Assistance Office Program is available for counseling and support to any faculty or staff member at (608) 263-2987.

Students are advised to contact University Health Services Counseling and Consultation Services, which can be reached at (608) 265-5600. UHS Counseling Services also has drop-in hours Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.