Class of 2011 embarks on the future

[media-credit name=’Megan McCormick / The Badger Herald’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]gradstory[/media-credit]

Once a Badger, always a Badger.

In a demonstration of pomp and circumstance with a Badger touch, nearly 6,000 University of Wisconsin undergraduate, doctoral, master’s and professional graduates donned graduation robs and caps for the commencement ceremonies at the Kohl Center, running from May 13 to May 15. Keynote speakers urged students to remain invested in the school that had afforded them the Wisconsin experience of a lifetime.

Chancellor Biddy Martin said members of the newest group of UW graduates had witnessed to a tremendous time for the state and the city of Madison, distinguished by the chance to see President Barack Obama visit the campus and be actively engaged in the political process surrounding the protests at the Capitol.

She also charged graduates to focus on their goals moving into the future and to continually test and strengthen their beliefs.

“I urge you to experience your own incandescence and push beyond the expectations of other people,” Martin said. “You have so much promise, spirit and hope.”

Martin added she feels privileged by her work and the opportunity to work on the students’ behalf.

Speaking on behalf of the UW System, Regent Michael Spector said graduates’ could rely on the education they had recieved to combat uncertainty about what the future may hold.

He also urged students to be persistent in following their dreams, a task which can occasionally prove difficult.

“You are armed with the necessary skills and knowledge to be ready for future challenges. Know and believe there is power in persistence in the face of serious challenges,” Spector said.

He said in addition to the transition to being UW alumni, the graduates would assume a new role as the next generation of advocates for the future of higher education in Wisconsin, saying that continuing public support would be vital to supporting the land grant university system moving forward.

Commencement speakers John and Tashia Morgridge made the pledge to match financial donations from the Class of 2011 to UW until the end of the year in order to promote a lifelong relationship with the university.

Through Dec. 31, the Morgridges will match gifts from graduates ranging from $20.11 to $120.11. A statement from UW said their goal is to receive financial gifts from 15 percent of the Class of 2011, or about 975 students.

The Morgridges also reflected on the time they treasured as students at the university, saying the experience had fostered lifelong relationships with other Badgers, as well as roots with the campus and Madison.

“You and we graduated from a world-class teaching and learning university and shared the rich and unique Madison experience,” John Morgridge said.

Tashia Morgridge also told the graduates that they are privileged to have a college education at a time in which 25 percent of Wisconsin residents have earned a college diploma.

Class of 2011 speaker Matt Beemsterboer reflected on the air of finality surrounding the students’ last round of finals and the kinship forged by sharing the Wisconsin student experience.

“When we walk across this stage, we may no longer be students but we will be joining the alumni and will share a common bond,” he said.

Beemsterboer, former chair of the Associated Students of Madison Finance Committee, also said graduates should look to give of their future wealth, their time and the dedication of their efforts in the future to give back to the professors, family and friends who helped them achieve this milestone.