Cieslewicz urges students to renew advocacy efforts

wispirg_MH
Mayor Dave Cieslewicz speaks to students about the importance of advocacy during the WISPIRG kick-off event Wednesday night.[/media-credit]

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz encouraged University of Wisconsin student advocates to renew their efforts to influence environmental policy-making on campus and at the state level by educating fellow students and the larger campus community.

The Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group kicked off its spring semester initiatives Wednesday by inviting Cieslewicz to speak about the value beginning initiatives for social change on campus.

Cieslewicz said WISPIRG members must continue their efforts to initiate social change, especially in the case of high-speed rail and alternative public transit.

He said though Gov. Scott Walker blocked the legislature in building the rail line from Minneapolis to Chicago, the plan would likely be reworked in an effort to renew discussions about the plan.

Cieslewicz also said environmental conservation and the need for public education would be fundamental tenets in planning for the future of the city.

He said as a politician, he could not accomplish any major political or social change without the support of grassroots organizations like WISPIRG, and many social advocates and political leaders began by supporting these progressive movements while still students.

Continuing student involvement in efforts to educate the broader community is crucial in accomplishing important social goals, he said.

Cieslewicz also said he wants the city of Madison to eliminate about 80 percent of organic waste in the water systems during 2011.

He also said President Barack Obama is one example of a student who began his career of community service and public advocacy by seeking membership in similar organizations, and no issue is resolved in the highest branches of government without first gaining support from student advocate organizations.

He said it is up to student organizations to educate the public about environmental issues because those are the groups most likely to help inspire the results many Wisconsin communities are looking for.

“We need people to say, ‘Okay, I’m willing to spend a couple extra bucks to save our planet.’ But they’re not going to do that unless they are educated,” Cieslewicz said.

UW junior and WISPIRG Secretary Allie Gardner said Cieslewicz drew a record crowd for the gathering, with nearly 150 people in attendance.

“It speaks to the political activism in Madison that there are all these students that want to get involved with these issues,” she said.

Gardner also said it is great to interact with government officials like Cieslewicz because it shows students on campus their involvement can be a deciding factor for major political and community issues.

She added students should realize they have the ability to influence change on the city, state and federal level.

For the spring semester, WISPIRG plans to lend support to initiatives such as ending bottled water contracts on campus and working to educate nearly 1,500 UW students about waste conservation.

Along with these new campaigns, WISPIRG will continue to run environmental awareness campaigns such as Big Red Go Green and is currently sponsoring an energy conservation contest in UW residence halls.

They will also continue year-long programs to fight hunger and homelessness and advocating for changes in public transit legislation.