Democrats’ plan to bring Wood’s expulsion to floor delayed

Members of the Wisconsin State Assembly planned to bring a resolution expelling Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, to the Assembly floor Tuesday night after he was charged three times for operating while intoxicated.

Becky Sweeney, spokesperson for Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, said the Assembly Democrats planned to bring the expulsion resolution to the floor after Wood himself failed in an attempt to bring the same resolution last Friday morning. Tuesday’s resolution was not brought to the floor as of press time at 3 a.m. Wednesday.

Wood has been arrested and charged with OWI three times since taking his seat in the Legislature, making for a total of five offenses. A December charge, in which Wood pleaded no contest, earned Wood a 45-day jail sentence and a fine of $1,615.50.

Wood has previously stated while he was under the influence of alcohol in December, he had no alcohol in his system during the other arrests and was under the therapeutic range for all prescription drugs.

He admitted, however, toxicology reports for his September arrest said he was over the therapeutic range for over-the-counter cough syrup.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, initially drafted a resolution to expel Wood, which inspired heated debate at two separate meetings of the Assembly Special Committee on Ethics.

At the first meeting, Wood gave his testimony and his lawyer argued for why he should not be expelled. The committee decided to postpone making a decision because Nass was not in attendance.

At the second meeting, Nass presented his reasons for bringing forth the resolution. He said it would be irresponsible to allow Wood to remain a representative for the state of Wisconsin.

All members of the committee, composed of an equal number of Democrats and Republicans, tried in vain to convince other members to change their minds. Some argued the toxicology reports showed Wood to be innocent of the charges on which the resolution relied. Others said allowing Wood to remain working at a job requiring excessive amounts of driving would be unsafe to the public.

The legislative session ends Thursday, any plans to bring the resolution to the floor must take place today or tomorrow.