Get out the vote: What UW students need to cast their ballots Feb. 16

To participate in Tuesday’s spring primary, voter registration, photo ID necessary
Jenna Freeman

To participate in the spring primary elections Tuesday, it’ll take a bit more effort than simply showing up to the polling place. Here’s what University of Wisconsin students need to know to cast their votes.

Sandra Miller, Common Cause of Wisconsin’s information services and outreach director, said there are two things every student needs to do to be ready at the polls: be registered to vote and have the correct voter ID ready.

To vote or not to vote: Many still unaware of voter photo ID law

The spring primary elections are Wisconsin elections where people vote for nonpartisan offices such as the Wisconsin Supreme Court, Miller said. Students can vote for candidates running for the positions of Supreme Court justice and Dane County district supervisor.

Normally, students can pre-register through several means — mail registration, with a special registration deputy and at the city clerk’s office, Miller said.

Because, however, the spring primary is less than 20 days away, the only ways to register are at the polls on the day of election or at the city clerk’s office by 6 p.m. Friday, Miller said.

The Madison city clerk’s office is located in room 103 of the City County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Students can also use this website to check if they have been registered. Miller said students will want to take action as soon as possible.

The second thing students must do is acquire the right type of ID. Common Cause in Wisconsin has made an information sheet outlining voter photo ID law compliant options.

UW and Associated Students of Madison have collaborated to create a website that also outlines the voting process for students, what they need to prepare and where the closest polls on campus are.

According to the website, students can get a special UW voter ID card at the Wiscard office at Union South for free, which they can use as acceptable photo ID if they do not have any of the options on the information sheet.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly cited online registration as a voter registration option. The article has been updated to reflect the correct voter registration options. The Badger Herald regrets this error.