No vacancy: Cap Times panel talks housing woes

Millennials, empty nesters driving Madison housing demand
Emily Shullaw

Intergenerational competition for Madison housing continues to decrease the availability of affordable housing in the city, burdening students and community members alike.

At Cap Times first housing panel, millennials, empty nesters and Associated Students of Madison’s silence on affordable student housing were all up for discussion.

The six member panel, comprised of a student representative and officials from the city and area nonprofits and developers, answered questions from a crowd of around 300 at High Noon Saloon Tuesday evening.

The discussion surrounded high housing demand fueled by millennials and empty nesters and the pressure it exerts on lower income households. Madison has long suffered from a low vacancy rate and lack of affordable housing.

In Madison, housing development cycle lacks affordability

Carmen Goséy, ASM legislative affairs chair, said a major problem for students is the difficulty in finding affordable housing close to campus, especially for those who work. She said an accelerated leasing timeline is also problematic for students, with many people signing as early as October.

Some panel members blamed state legislation stripping tenant protections.

Brenda Konkel, Tenant Resource Center executive director, said state preemption had repealed laws previously limiting when leases could be offered.

Goséy said ASM has shown too little interest in addressing student housing prices. She said she plans to campaign for greater student government involvement, but did not give details.

“Not a lot of students are talking about this, but there is homelessness on the UW campus, so to me this is very relevant,” she said.

Board of Estimates discusses new affordable housing project on East Washington Ave

Natalie Erdman, Madison Department of Planning, Community and Economic Development director, said according to a recent housing report, millennials, followed by empty nesters, are the two greatest demographics driving demand for housing. Erdman said millennials, pressured by student debt, are putting off home ownership.

Additionally, she said empty nesters are choosing to move closer to downtown amenities, and in some places are in heavy competition with millennials for rental properties.

Konkel said demand increasingly favors smaller unit sizes, which makes it difficult for families to find space downtown. In some cases, families are finding it cheaper to live in motels than rent an apartment, she said.

Exacerbating this problem, a bad leasing record can make it nearly impossible to sign a lease, Konkel said.

“I have a staff member who pays $1,600 a month at a hotel because every time she goes to get an apartment she gets denied because she has a bad record,” she said.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the panel was the sixth instead of the first hosted by The Cap Times. The Badger Herald regrets this error.