Coping with violence, UWPD, UHS send message to Madison community

Message talks about prevention, preparedness in case of emergency
Erik Brown

University of Wisconsin Police Department and University Health Services collaborated to reach out to the Madison campus and community about how to handle tragedy when it strikes.

Though the San Bernardino, California, mass shooting did not prompt UWPD’s and UHS’ message, it discussed how to act in times of violence and how to prevent such acts from occurring.

The timing was interesting, UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said, and though the tragedy was extremely unfortunate, it created a captive audience for the message.

UWPD has been working with the university and UHS for several months to release a message that would discuss not only how to prevent violent acts, but also address matters of mental health when such acts occur — that’s where UHS came in, Lovicott explained.

UWPD and UHS reassured the community that UW is prepared should an act of violence occur on campus. Part of being ready for these events is the extensive active shooter and emergency response training UWPD officers undergo each year, he said.

“We go up with training all the time to deal with instances like this,” Lovicott said. “It’s unfortunate that we do have to do that, but we have to be ready in case the unthinkable does happen.”

UWPD responds to questions about safety in an active shooter situation

Associated Students of Madison University Affairs Chair, Angelito Tenorio said he was glad UWPD and UHS collaborated on the issues and brought them up for discussion in the community.

ASM does not want anyone to feel unsafe on campus, Tenorio said, so the fact UWPD and UHS are addressing these issues will help keep students aware and prepared.

“This can happen anywhere. I’m really happy that UHS and UWPD have been talking about this issue and sent this message out for students providing them with tips,” he said.

If an act of violence were to occur on campus, Tenorio said ASM would also reach out to students either through email or social media.

Tenorio stressed the importance of making sure there is a connection between ASM and the student body, particularly during times of crisis, so students can come together as a community.

“ASM is a resource to students, we make ourselves available especially in times of crisis and coping with tragedies,” Tenorio said. “We just want to make sure that students know that we are here for them.”

UHS talked a great deal about the fear and anxiety that surrounds violent events that have already occurred and how students can mentally cope with such situations, Lovicott said.

UWPD and UHS want members of the community to have a plan and to be prepared in case of an emergency, Lovitcott said. Using the example of a shooter in a classroom, he said students and the community should be prepared to know where to go and what actions they should take in that type of situation.

“The last thing we want is for people to be fearful and if they are fearful and it’s interfering with their college education or their work, we can help them get through that,” Lovicott said.