Turn down for what: Permit overhaul would limit festival sounds at city parks

City seeking input from festival organizers on permit specifics
Courtesy of Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra

Large festivals held at city parks will have to turn the volume down under newly proposed permit rules.

The Parks Commission officials said they hope to work with local festival organizers on the details of new permits limiting the the volume of festivals held on park grounds. Events will have different permit costs and volume limits based on size.

Charlie Romines, assistant superintendent of park operations, said the city’s old permit requirements did not address the broad range of event sizes. Romines said under the old system, any event with an amplifier required a permit fee of $100, regardless of size.

“If you’re having a birthday party with a DJ [it costs] 100 bucks, the Avett concert that happened last month [it cost] 100 bucks,” Romines said.

Avett Brothers slay instruments at unintentionally fiery outside gig

Romines said the old system did not restrict noise levels and the Parks Department has received several noise complaints over the years as a result. He said the new rules would be far more equitable and would better reflect the staff hours needed to monitor larger events.

The proposed system divides the permits into three classes, with a permit for a small gathering costing $50 and limiting the noise level to 75 db and the largest costing $150 with a limit of 85 db.

Romines said the 85 db ceiling will sound similar to a semi-truck driving by at 10 feet away.

Currently there are no decibel limits attached to park permits.

Charlie Goldstone, president of Frank Productions, said the parameters for the new sound limits need to be more adequately defined.

He said it is unclear where the noise level will be measured and noted the varying shape of city parks as a possible source of confusion.

Goldstone said he believes the Parks Commission and organizers will be able to clarify the new rules.

“The Parks Department has always been a really good partner and supportive of all the neighborhood festivals and events,” Goldstone said.

Romines said the proposed permits closely resemble those of nearby municipalities and his department is confident festivals will meet their requirements.

Festivals such as Freakfest and Revelry, he said, will not be affected.