UW seeks support in its alumni, unveils new fundraiser in time for homecoming

Budget cuts add sense of urgency to campaign
Herald archives

University of Wisconsin kicked off its new fundraising campaign All Ways Forward Thursday night, a campaign that has been under wraps for the past two years.

With recent budget cuts, UW urged alumni to come and support the kick-off event held at the Kohl Center to help launch the new comprehensive fundraising campaign.

Vincent Sweeney, UW Foundation spokesperson, said the recent budget cuts were not a factor in the campaign’s development. He said this campaign has been in the works for the past two years in a so-called quiet stage.

Sweeney said the budget cuts of this past spring made for a bit of a rough patch, but despite these challenges, UW has flourished through its 167-year partnership from private funding, state support, research profits and contributions from students and parents through tuition. 

UW System will probably see the $300 million budget cuts in full

The campaign, Sweeney said, is set to last through 2020.

Dave Vanness, associate professor of population health sciences at UW, said the campaign was already in planning before state budget cuts were approved, but the cuts did create an increased sense of urgency to the campaign this fall.

But while the funding from alumni is important, it can’t compare to that from the state, Vanness said.

“Fundraising is absolutely essential because of the declining state support of public higher educaiton,”  Vanness said. “[But it is] no replacement for the state support of higher education.”

Vanness noted alumni have been supportive and generous throughout the difficulties UW has faced in the past months.

The goal of this campaign is to raise money for the entire university, not just one part of it, Sweeney said.

The money will fund four major areas, Sweeney said. This first is UW faculty. Money will be used to support faculty, retain high-achieving educators and to attract new talent.

The funding will also go toward supporting students through scholarships, Sweeney said. The university wants to make sure every student accepted to UW can afford it.

“We want to help develop students capable of addressing the world’s problems,” Sweeney said.

The campaign also aims to improve the overall educational experience for UW students through supporting career development, increasing study abroad opportunities or improving existing facilities, such as the REC centers like the SERF, Sweeney said. 

The university also plans to allocate some of the funds to support research, Sweeney said.  

In order to gain support, UW Foundation has been working with alumni to help determine what parts of the university they may be interested in supporting, Sweeney said.

“People are very excited, Sweeney said. “We’re off to a great start and I hope that more will continue.”