Sex Out Loud granted more than $90,000 budget, SSFC hears from Western Martial Arts Society

Sex Out Loud was granted more than $90,000 for the 2014-15 academic year at the University of Wisconsin’s Student Services Finance Committee meeting Monday night.

The committee also heard a budget presentation from the the Western Martial Arts Society, formerly known as the Medieval Warriorcraft League.

Sex Out Loud

SSFC approved a $98,032 budget for Sex Out Loud, a peer-based sexual health resource organization, with little debate at their biweekly meeting.

The only change made to Sex Out Loud’s budget was a reduction of $400 from the honoraria line for Yoga for Better Sex. Sex Out Loud Rep. Nicholas Fetzner said the yoga teacher for the class was no longer able to provide her services and there was no definite plan for who would take charge of the event.

Without the teacher running this program, SSFC Rep. Ben Agatston said it could not be run efficiently.

SSFC Vice Chair Ian Malmstadt agreed, saying the program was dependent on one person that was difficult to replace.

Sex Out Loud’s budget was approved unanimously by a vote of eight to zero.

Western Martial Arts Society

Brandishing a wooden sword, WMAS representative Matt Manes, who said WMAS consists of a group of students interested in studying and recreating the martial arts of Western Europe, requested a total budget of $69,865.95.

Manes requested a budget of $69,865.95, down from $95,177.24 last year. WMAS was granted eligibility for funding for the first time last year.

The group decreased their advertising, computer software and hardware, equipment, supplies and liability lines, while increasing programming lines and hourly pay for their financial officer.

SSFC representatives were surprised to hear that despite operating for three months, WMAS has not offered any direct services to students.

This is due to a lack of liability insurance, which WMAS has applied for, Manes said.

Manes denied questions regarding whether WMAS had intentionally misled the committee last year by suggesting they would be prepared to start services at the beginning of this school year. He said he had not been aware of the limitations that would occur.

WMAS is also supposed to provide a non-physical learning side to martial arts, but Patrick Shirley, representative of WMAS, said the curriculum for it was not yet completed.

SSFC representative Callen Raveret said he did not see any money in WMAS’s budget allocated for direct services.

“Our organization is a direct service, we have structured this fundamentally from the beginning around our one direct service, which is the workshop program,” Manes said.

SSFC representatives also questioned how much money WMAS needed for equipment as they had been allotted money for it previously.

The group expects to start their workshops early next semester, Manes said.

A final decision on WMAS’s budget will be made Thursday.