Homicide investigation underway

The Madison Police Department announced Thursday officers will shift their investigation of a recent homicide to a domestic angle after finding the victim’s husband dead in his Madison home Friday. 

Police began investigating the case as a domestic-related homicide after executing a search warrant for the home of the victim’s estranged husband.

Although MPD has not officially released the names of the victims, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, the two deceased were identified as Jennifer Boyce, 31, and Bernard Grosso. Boyce worked as an epidemiologist for the state Division of Public Health, the Journal reported.

Police found Grosso deceased in his home on the 3800 block of Atwood Avenue Friday, Jan. 25, according to a MPD statement. Grosso died from what was described as an apparent self-inflicted gun wound, the statement said.

Boyce was discovered in her apartment on 6800 block of Milwaukee Street on Jan. 24, the statement said. Police observed signs of forced entry at the scene. According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the perpetrator smashed in the victim’s patio window.

The couple had a hearing at the Dane County courthouse scheduled for the morning of Friday, Jan. 25 to finalize their divorce, the statement said.

“Anytime someone is murdered it is an unspeakable crime or tragedy,” Verveer said.

MPD is continuing to process evidence from both residences, the statement said. The discovery of Grosso led the police to look into the possibility of a related murder and suicide.

This was the first homicide of the year, according to the statement.

Verveer said Madison has an extremely low homicide rate overall.

“It is particularly unfortunate that Madison has already experienced its first homicide only a few weeks into the year,” Verveer said.

The Dane County Medical Examiner will release the manner and cause of the deaths of Boyce and Grosso later this week, the statement said.

MPD also stated there was no longer an ongoing threat to the community.