UW professor arrested for indecent exposure

A University of Wisconsin assistant professor of African studies was charged with lewd and lascivious behavior on Aug. 1 after allegedly exposing himself to a former student.

Kennedy Waliaula, 47, was reported to the UW Police Department on July 10, after allegedly exposing his genitals to five women passersby, including one former student, according to a Dane County Circuit Court criminal complaint.

The complaint said the student victim, 22, was walking on North Charter Street at approximately 3:15 p.m. when she noticed her former professor walking in the opposite direction with his jean zipper and button open. When the two made eye contact, Waliaula reportedly adjusted his jeans to expose his gentials, the complaint states.

Police found and arrested Waliaula shortly after the incident was reported.

When asked about the incident, Waliaula first claimed to only notice his pants were unzipped after seeing the state of shock in the student’s expression, but later admitted to consciously exposing himself to her as well as the four previous females. He said he had a “problem with exposing himself in public,” the complaint states.

Waliaula entered a not guilty plea to any misdemeanor counts on his initial Aug. 6 court date, the criminal court record said. However, according to the judicial determination, he was charged with lewd and lascivious behavior on grounds of publicly exposing his genitals to victims for “sexual gratification.”

The victim’s account was found to be “truthful and reliable,” the complaint said.

Waliaula is no longer allowed on the UW campus unless given a written permit limited to employment purposes.

Currently, the university is working Waliaula’s case through the personnel process, UW spokesperson Dennis Chaptman said in an email to The Badger Herald. He added that Waliaula is on a paid administrative leave.

“The results of that process could lead to a variety of consequences, up to and including dismissal,” Chaptman said.

According to the complaint, Waliaula’s conviction, being a Class A misdemeanor, carries either a maximum fine of $10,000 or nine months in prison.

Waliaulia’s settlement conference is scheduled for Sept. 7.