Local municipalities fight concealed carry

Madison government officials are struggling to draft legislation to address the concealed carry law’s implications for private and public buildings and private property before the law goes into effect Nov. 1.

Wisconsin Act 35, which was enacted and published last July, made it legal for residents to carry concealed firearms so long as they carry a permit from the state Department of Justice.

While the concealed carry law is clear in regards to outside public spaces, the city has yet to decide how to enforce the law throughout buildings and private property in Madison, Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said.

On Tuesday, Dane County Executive Joe Parisi signed protections for citizens who use county facilities, allowing county owned buildings to post the required 5″ x 7″ signs on all major entrances prohibiting concealed weapons, according to a statement from Parisi.

“This resolution is necessary to protect those who visit and work in county buildings everyday,” Parisi said in the statement. “Citizens shouldn’t have to worry about concealed guns when they travel at the airport or take their families to the zoo.”

The county resolution approves sign use in the Dane County Regional Airport and City County Building to prohibit firearms on the premise.

Resnick said he was still awaiting memos from the city attorney regarding allowed concealed carry regulations within state and county government buildings.

However, he said another piece of legislation proposed Monday night by Madison Mayor Paul Soglin attempts to clear up the city’s approach to the concealed carry law in regards to private property.

“The idea [of the proposed legislation] essentially states that homeowners have the right to be notified before someone brings a weapon onto their property,” Resnick said. “Now that the legislation has been introduced, it will start making its way through the various city committees.”

According to the agenda at Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, Ordinance 23911 would create several unlawful trespass violations for concealed individuals who enter onto a property of another after having been notified that the carrying of weapons is not permitted on that property. It would also create a bail deposit for violation.

Resnick said the ordinance would go before the Public Safety Review Board Oct. 4, and he expects a number of alders will support and eventually sign the piece of legislation.

Discussion regarding how to handle firearms on the University of Wisconsin campus has also been abuzz since the state-wide legislation was introduced.

UW previously announced that concealed guns will be allowed on campus, but that there is currently no uniform policy for the UW System on how to handle concealed carry inside campus buildings, according to a statement from the university.

DOJ has said certain public spaces, including state and local government buildings, attach a condition to concealed carry that says unless it is explicitly stated that concealed weapons are not allowed, a permit holder can bring them onto the premises.