Teenager hospitalized after home invasion

Several men armed with a baseball bat injured a 16-year-old boy in a home invasion Tuesday night.

According to police reports, four to five men forced their way inside a residence on the 2000 block of East Washington Avenue.

Two of the intruders punched the victim — who was visiting the residence of a friend — in the head several times, while the others — one of whom had a baseball bat — watched.

The victim was taken to a local hospital where he received several stitches to close cuts on his face, a police report stated.

The victim is acquainted with one suspect, and preliminary investigation indicates money as a motive, the police report said.

Madison police arrested two men in relation to the incident late Tuesday night.

Aaron Hodges, 21, of Madison, was arrested for physical abuse of a child and criminal trespass to a dwelling, according to police reports.

Jeffrey Masino Jr., 19, of McFarland, was charged with party to the crime of physical abuse of a child, disorderly conduct while armed, resisting or obstructing and criminal trespass to a dwelling, according to police reports. The charge of disorderly conduct is likely tied to the baseball bat.

Two to three other men who have not been arrested in the case accompanied Hodges and Masino.

“The 16-year-old knew who [Hodges] was, but did not know him well,” Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

DeSpain said a witness was under the impression Hodges believed the 16-year-old had stolen money from him.

The men were arrested Tuesday night near the Tenney Park locks and boat landing, according to DeSpain.

“Those who would have participated will likely face similar tentative charges,” Despain said, adding they are still looking for the two other suspects. “One of the people we’re looking for is the other who would have battered the boy and the other who was standing by would be tentatively arrested for party to physical abuse of a child.”

John Koch is the co-chair of the Emerson East Neighborhood Association, the neighborhood in which the incident took place. He said the incident was not characteristic of the neighborhood.

“We’re a relatively safe neighborhood,” Koch said.