DoIT survey pushes student wireless initiative

[media-credit name=’NATALIE WEINBERGER/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]wirelessNW416[/media-credit]Results from an annual University of Wisconsin Department of Information Technology survey found students' newfound usage of laptops and other mobile media will help propel the expansion of wireless technologies.

According to DoIT Public Information Director Brian Rust, laptop-computer ownership has risen dramatically among students, from 26 percent in 2001 to 56 percent this past spring. Rust said DoIT was already preparing to accommodate the mobile computers by expanding UW's wireless network.

"We are putting wireless transmitters in almost every building on campus. Right now, you can use wireless in maybe 40 places on campus. What we're doing is adding up to 1,600 transmitters," Rust said. "I estimate that 130 buildings on campus will have wireless. You'll be able to use your laptop in almost any building on any floor."

Still, one in five undergraduate students and two in five graduate students said they owned both a laptop and desktop.

Currently, wireless networks have become available at both unions and libraries. Networks are accessible using students' NetID and password.

"I think it's cool that I can take my computer out onto the Terrace and surf the web," said UW junior Michael Caruso. "It's a lot more convenient than having to just do all my schoolwork at my desk, and it would be convenient to be able to work all around campus, too."

The new wireless networks have also been popular among faculty who see the necessity for students and staff alike.

UW Dean of Letters and Science Gary Sandefur said the networks have made it easier for students to study and access information on the Internet.

"More and more communication between instructors, TAs and students takes place over e-mail, and some courses have chat rooms or other ways in which people can exchange information over the web," Sandefur said. "We even have online courses, and those are proving to be increasingly popular with students because they create flexibility [and] students are able to look at lectures or materials throughout the day."

Rust said UW and DoIT use the survey information to gauge what technologies need to be brought to students.

"In terms of trends, the biggest or continuing trend is toward wireless or smaller devices. The predominant computer is a laptop, and the rise in popularity of cell phones and MP3 players … things like that [are] what we've been noticing," Rust said.

The 30-question survey also revealed other interesting "tech tendencies" of UW students.

Landline phone usage has begun to fade, with 80 percent of students using a landline phone in 2002 and only 44 percent of students using a landline this past spring. Eighty-seven percent of students currently own a cell phone.

Additionally, "virtually unknown" one year ago, 35 percent of students reported owning MP3 players.

Approximately 82 percent of students reported having more than one active e-mail address.