City buys new bike racks for State Street

It may be almost winter in Wisconsin, but the State Street Design Project Oversight Committee is still hard at work for State Street construction plans. In a meeting Thursday, the committee discussed Phase I status as well as upcoming Phase II plans.

Steve Gohde from City Engineering summed up the majority of the Phase I work: “Things are moving along.”

Bus shelters and light fixtures are complete, but a number of the street banners with LED lights have yet to be fully installed.

Before construction began on State Street there were 27 bike racks in the 100 block and surrounding area side streets. The city is hoping to install another 45 new stalls in the 100 block of State Street after requests from residents and business people about lacking available bike parking, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

“I think we have to accept … people who are trying to keep the city clean by riding bikes downtown,” said community member Rosemary Lee. “I never find them a problem on my own two feet. We have to accept that segment of our population.”

Committee member Scott Thorton and others expressed concern about adding four more bike racks into the Philosopher’s Grove area. There are currently two bike racks there with six stalls. Another four more racks would add 12 stalls.

“I’m just not sure this is the right thing for this area. It might block it up,” Thorton said.

The committee approved the recommendation to purchase the proposed four bike racks in Philosopher’s Grove but wait on installation.

However, members want to see how the area looks with the current bike racks before deciding if the additional racks will be appropriate there. The committee will also enlist the help of the City Arts Commission to decide if the racks fit aesthetically in the Philosopher’s Grove.

The committee discussed the addition of extra bike racks as an issue that has to be dealt with in some fashion.

“The lack of bicycle parking is acute in this area. Since Phase I was completed, the assumption on part of community was that [this committee’s] plan would greatly incorporate bike parking on State Street,” Verveer said.

Lee told the committee to look at the larger picture instead of individual business owners’ claims. But independent, non-commercial businesses are inherently part of the State Street atmosphere.

“It’s important to work with business owners and it’s important to keep in mind … the long-term view,” Bill Fruhling, the project’s principle planner, said. “Stores change ownership and people want to use store fronts differently. It might be good to have criteria on how to deal with this, help us deal with this situation.”