Symposium will debate Troy tale

With the release of Wolfgang Peterson’s film “Troy” in the spring of 2004 came giant tickets sales and the reemergence of an age-old story. But archeologists have since questioned the film’s historical background.

In response to the film and the continuous debate regarding the city of Troy, the Classics Department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison will host a symposium titled “The Trojan War: The Sources Behind the Scene” Sept. 17 and 18.

The symposium’s goal is to respond to public interest in the topic by providing an academic outlet for both lecture and discussion.

William Aylward, an assistant professor in the Classics Department, will speak at the symposium.

“The recent film has raised questions about accuracy in modern interpretations of prehistoric Troy,” Aylward said. “The symposium intends to bring Homer and Troy to life.”

Aylward said archeologists disagree with the film’s and Homer’s presentation of the city. While Troy was a real city that burned down in 1200 B.C. and its location is believed to be in modern Northwestern Turkey, scientists have not uncovered any evidence that proves the events in “Troy” and Homer’s “Illiad” and the “Odyssey” occurred, he added.

Academics acknowledge that the film “Troy” may accurately portray the city as Homer described it, said Barry Powell, a professor in the Classics Department. But archeologists believe the real city was a very small city on a hilltop with walls typical of the Bronze Age.

Powell, who will also speak at the symposium, emphasizes the topic’s public appeal, noting such a debate is relevant to modern audiences because of its application to areas of study like history and literature.

“Everyone has heard of the Trojan horse,” Powell noted. “[The Trojan War and Homer’s stories] are the foundation of western civilization.”

Aylward agrees with Powell.