Taylor Swift stylishly reclaims beloved era in ‘1989 (Taylor’s Version)’

Pop superstar continues successful re-recording excursion with latest release
Cat Carroll

Taylor Swift has had a whirlwind year, with the debut of her smash-hit Eras Tour, the release of “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version),” the premiere of The Eras Tour concert film and now the release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” Swift released “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” Oct. 27, bringing new life to an album that revolutionized the pop music game.

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is the highly anticipated re-recorded version of Swift’s fifth album “1989,” released in 2014. It follows Swift’s re-releases of “Fearless,” “Red” and “Speak Now.” These four albums represent Swift’s progress toward reclaiming the masters of her first six studio albums. Debut album “Taylor Swift” and “Reputation” are the two yet to be reclaimed by Swift.

The album has 22 total “Taylor’s Version” tracks — 16 from the original deluxe album, 5 never-before-heard “vault” tracks and the re-recorded fan-favorite collab with Kendrick Lamar on “Bad Blood.”

The release has garnered praise and broken records, making it clear the global superstar really never goes out of style. Oct. 27, Swift became “the most-streamed artist in a single day in Spotify history” and “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” became “Spotify’s most streamed album in a single day in 2023,” according to a statement Spotify made on X.

The “1989”debut in 2014 demonstrated Swift’s ability to effortlessly shift genres, bringing a new ’80s synth-pop sound to her music while maintaining the same vivid storytelling elements her fans love. This era is defined by New York City, bobs with bangs and classic red lipstick. Nearly 10 years later, Swift still captures these infamous motifs in her version of the era.

Mipso gets to know each other again on tour

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” maintains the adored components of the original album while incorporating elements that embody Swift’s artistic maturation. There are subtle but noticeable changes in the re-release, such as “Style (Taylor’s Version)” having a more clear and crisp guitar intro. “I Know Places (Taylor’s Version)” boasts a strong vocal improvement the second time Swift belts “and we run,” in the “Taylor’s Version” track, topping an already impressive performance from the original release.

Swift shared on social media that “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is her favorite re-record so far because of the tracks from the vault, according to Billboard. These five songs shattered expectations and expanded the world of “1989.”

“‘Slut!’” is a powerful statement from Swift, embracing the word that has been thrown at her for the majority of her career. She sings “But if I’m all dressed up / They might as well be lookin’ at us / And if they call me a slut / You know it might be worth it for once,” emphasizing how she is always the one criticized in her relationships. In the prologue of “1989 (Taylor’s Version),” Swift points out how in the years leading up to the release of “1989” in 2014 she had “become the target of slut shaming — the intensity and relentlessness of which would be criticized and called out if it happened today.” This dreamy-sounding vault track holds a sharp meaning that combats misogyny.

Swift gets vulnerable in vault track “Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version),” a letter to someone who is falling out of love. “I would stay forever if you say, ‘Don’t go,’” Swift writes. It conveys the feeling of knowing your time with someone is nearing the end but holding out hope they will give you another chance and ask you to stay with them.

Sufjan Stevens captures raw emotion in new album ‘Javelin’

“Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version)” is an anthem for ending contact with someone you once shared your life with, whether romantic or platonic. Swift writes about reflecting on a relationship and wondering what that person is up to, though you’re now on the outside of their life. The strong lyricism and storytelling in this vault track is reminiscent of Swift’s sister albums “folklore” and “evermore.” She sings “And the only way back to my dignity / Was to turn into a shrouded mystery.” Swift emphasizes the relief in leaving someone who made you feel like you had to put on an act around when she sings, “Now that we don’t talk / I don’t have to pretend I like acid rock.” It is easy to lose yourself in the perceptions of others and hard to step away from a performance that pleases them.

Swift demonstrates another strong narration of consuming relationships in “Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version).” It shares the story of falling in love with someone too quickly and too intensely. Swift describes the culmination of the relationship as “waves crash[ing] to the shore,” putting weight on the force and profound nature of the romance. She has a flair for catchy choruses and this song is no exception.

Perhaps Swift did save the best for last, with “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)” finishing off the vault tracks. The clever and witty lyrics portray the feeling of betrayal when a past relationship moves on — “If she’s got blue eyes I will surmise that you’ll probably date her / You dream of my mouth before it called you a lying traitor.” Blue-eyed Swift details that the subject of this song has a new girl who is her “clone.” “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)” has parallels to “Style (Taylor’s Version)” also on the album, where Swift writes “And when we go crashing down, we come back every time.” Both songs are odes to a relationship that doesn’t have a clear ending and seems to continue in an unhealthy cycle.

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is a strong continuation of Swift’s re-recording journey and incorporates the classic elements of the original album while showcasing her vocal and stylistic growth.