Indie-pop Wild Child proves opposites attract

Kelsey Wilson, Alexander Beggins have never had much in common, but their music makes this Texas-based group sing
Wild+Child.
Contributed by Wild Child.
Wild Child.

While sensory and inspiring, music also possesses the power to bring even the most contradictory of entities together. It is thanks to this property that two individuals have found their voice and created their own musical entity: Wild Child.

Based out of Austin, Texas, Wild Child is an indie pop group whose lead singers, Kelsey Wilson and Alexander Beggins, stem from a former band, The Migrant. Wilson and Beggins never expected to take the limelight, having always felt comfortable as supporting musicians. But, among their four fellow bandmates in Wild Child, the pair have emerged as frontmen. 

Freshman DJ Melvv boasts millions of Soundcloud listens, shows no signs of slowing down

Wilson said it was her chance friendship with Beggins that gave rise to their music. Despite persona differences, within the first week of exclusively creating music together, they wrote everyone song on their first album Pillow Talk.

“Alex and I are very different people and we would never hang out if it wasn’t for the music,” Wilson said. “We’re pretty much polar-opposites. And we never realized we had anything to say or sing about until we met each other … but it’s been flowing ever since. It’s natural.”

In a way, Wild Child was the only option for Wilson and Beggins. The energy of the music they create helps them transcend stage fright. They are reminded everyday that the music is truly in the lead, not them, and as long as they have each other, Wild Child can harvest a powerhouse of soulful, meaningful lyrics to give them continual success.

Though their journey has been a colorful and authentic string of twists and turns, the sense of relief that accompanies having a producer, tour manager and booking agent has now given Wild Child the liberty to do what they do in a concentrated form, and it shows.

Wild Child’s next stop in Madison Oct. 28 will be one for the books. They’ve graduated from the Frequency’s intimate venue to the Majestic, a smart move given their isthmus audience has doubled every time their tour stops through.

UK’s Glass Animals finds inspiration for eccentric sound in midnight muses

“Madison has been a crazy stop for the tour,” Wilson said. “We usually come towards the end of the tour on Halloween and people definitely turn up and get rowdy … But Madison is a cool, vibey place. It’s worth it to see our work pay off with such a supportive crew every time.”  

Even if Wilson and Beggins may not have meshed elsewhere, music serendipitously brought them together in Wild Child for listeners everywhere to enjoy.

“It worked,” Wilson said. “We don’t know why, but we’re not questioning it.”