Prof brings the party to the High Noon

When Prof spoke on the phone Tuesday, he was doing what anybody else would do after a string of intense high-energy shows—kicking back and watching some TV. Having performed a show in Denver Monday evening and just getting back to Minnesota Tuesday, he was tired. This is for the Midwest rapper and all around wild boy who bounces off the walls during his performances and constantly exudes a class clown attitude.

Over the years, Prof, who will be playing Madison’s High Noon Saloon Friday night, has received heavy criticism about the lyrical content of his songs. His music was referred to by the Twin Cities Daily Planet as “asinine, narcissistic self-indulgence run completely riot, without a shred of redeeming artistry.”

Those quick to judge Prof’s music don’t take the time to look at the human side of the man. He said while his upbringing was happy, it was also filled with tragedy. The way he chooses to deal with such adversity is through laughter and celebration.

“It’s like party music is like struggle music ’cause you want to forget and have a good time,” he said. Prof approaches life with his own unique philosophy: “I just try and celebrate as much as I can because you never know when another horrible thing will happen.”

Prof doesn’t let the negativity of the critics get to his head, though, as long as his fans understand his music and are into it. “I could really give a shit about what a critic has to say,” he said. “I would much rather have fans at my shows and have critics hate me rather than have critics love me and have no one come to my shows.”

Prof said in addition to helping him deal with hardships in his life, the type of music he produces brings a new perspective to the Minnesota rap scene, which has been receiving more attention in recent years.

“I think I’m a little different than a lot of the conscious rap that comes out of Minneapolis,” he said. “I’m more of just a wily character. I think I’ve changed the culture—made it wider as to what the Minnesota rap scene can be.”

Because of his nonstop wily persona, touring takes a toll on Prof. He said his hardcore partying days are less frequent than before and recently he’s shifted his focus to delivering a high energy show to his fans. Don’t be mistaken—he still pounds his trademark Jameson on a regular basis and has no problem hanging out with his fans. But the defeated, “Hell yes,” he gave when asked if he ever gets tired of being so energetic all time showed the toll excessive partying can take.

Prof, quite simply, aspires to take over the world. “I want to be the biggest artist ever,” he said. However, long-time fans ought not to be concerned, for Prof said even the temptation of fame won’t lead him to stray away from his brand of music.

“I want to do it my way. I want to continue to be myself and make my music and if I happen to get famous from that, that’s great. But I’m not going to sacrifice any of my morals or my music or what I have to say to do that,” he said.

The first thing that came out of his mouth when asked why he chose to include Madison on his tour was this: “Madison is the shiiiiiit.”

“The kids are wild, and the show is always fun in Madison,” he said. The rapper thrives off of his live performances and tries to connect with his fan base at each of his shows. “I try and vibe with whatever I got there and turn it into the best party I can,” he said.

Prof will be performing at the High Noon Saloon at 9:30 p.m. Friday. Sean Anonymous and Ragelife will open. In pumping his show, Prof said, “It’s gonna be disgusting. It’s gonna be absolutely filthy. People are going to lose their keys, their virginity and their lives. It’s going to be horribly one of the best shows you’ve ever seen.”