How to construct a Neon Trees-inspired costume

The seasonal pumpkin-carving, candy corn eating and evening trips to haunted houses are cut down more and more with age and will be quickly coming to an end with Halloween approaching on Monday. For now, though, the number one question seems to be, “What is your Halloween costume”?

For those lacking on the creativity level, stay safe by simply basing a costume off one of Freakfest’s musical performers, American rock band Neon Trees — not to be confused with Neon Indian, which is playing at the Sett the same night.

Since the group started in 2005, the four musicians – Tyler Glenn, Chris Allen, Branden Campbell and Elaine Bradley – have released one studio album, Habits. This album will likely be the basis of their content for the Saturday performance — a combination of alt and indie rock reminiscent of 30 Seconds to Mars and The Killers. So, what should you wear to truly represent the award-winning musical group?

“Animal” became the group’s most famous song after it reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, won a Billboard award and was featured in a Season Two “Glee” episode. The obvious costume choice here would be to represent any animal. However, the band is particularly fond of the wolf, an image included on the album for the single track.

The track “1983” could pose potential difficulty, but do not limit yourself by dressing as a calendar. Follow the suggestion of the lyrics, “go back” to 1983, and have your costume highlight special moments of the year. Musically, Michael’s Jackson’s “Thriller” reached No. 1 on the U.S. charts that year, making it probably one of the most appropriate songs to incorporate into a Halloween costume. The year has many more moments; it’s all about the creativity.

Another popular song from the album includes “Sing of My Youth,” which focuses heavily on the singer trying to break habits. It might be helpful to try to incorporate this concept into your costume. If you are a Diet Coke addict, take labels from the soda bottles and tape them to a shirt to represent your angst.

As students, pull your best school outfit together for “Girls and Boys In School.” When the lyrics ask “Questions for questions, I’ve got a question/ Would you ever dance with me like that”? be sure to ask that nearby guy or girl to share the dance with you.

For a worst-case scenario situation, simply pull together some articles of neon clothing. The album has some fun energetic songs that will match the energy illuminating from the vibrant colors. In the end, Neon Trees’ show provides a lot of opportunities to have a low-budget, creatively safe costume.