Grizzly Bear bandmember Chris Taylor bares all in interview

While most people have never heard the name Chris Taylor before now, Grizzly Bear definitely rings some bells in indie kids’ ears all over the country. Taylor gained prominence as bassist, back-up vocalist and producer of the hipster flagship’s last two records. Last month he released his debut solo album, Dreams Come True, under the moniker CANT.

The Badger Herald managed to wake Taylor from a nap while on a driving trip through the Utah desert. He spared a few words his on his new solo project and his role as a producer.

Taylor’s new release undoubtedly has a sound that is easy to mistake for the band that gave him a name in music.

Asked whether he made any effort to depart from Grizzly Bear’s distinct sound, Taylor said, “No, not intentionally. Just more, you know; I’m one guy and they’re four guys, and if I was to do something that sounded like four guys with one guy, that would be – I don’t know – It’s not really possible.”

His solo pseudonym, CANT, brings to mind either a contraction of “cannot,” or a slur for feminine genitalia. Ultimately, the creator of the name has as much a grasp on his stage name as anyone.

“Yeah, uh, I don’t even know. I didn’t really think about it too much. I suppose I should have. It doesn’t really mean much of anything,” Taylor said of the elusive meaning behind “CANT.”

CANT’s close sonic relationship to Grizzly Bear’s past two records is uncanny. The one thing the three albums have in common is the producer, Taylor. He was vague on the role of producers but sure of their powerful role in recording music.

“Yeah, I mean you know. It could go in any potential direction. Those involved will shape that direction,” Taylor said.

Taylor stayed mum regarding his personal goals in music. When asked if there was a sound he wanted to be known for in the future, Taylor said, “Uh, no, I don’t really think about that.”

He does not make music so that he can enjoy listening to it in the future. “That’s not my goal,” he said. “You’re effectively pretty done with listening to it by the time it [the record] is out.”

His goals for himself as an artist are as unclear as his idea of his solo project.

“[I’m] just making music because that’s what musicians do,” he said.

Critics have said some parts of Dreams Come True sound expensive. Taylor had little to say about the adjective he had never heard applied to music before. “I am being fucked with,” Taylor said.

In true rocker fashion, Taylor ended the interview abruptly. He opined on his distaste when asked whether he would change the name of a band if the genre changed.

“The thing about these questions is that they’re so fucking stupid that there’s no way I can answer them without also getting down to a similarly stupid level,” Taylor said of the interview.

Does the stupidity lie within the interviewee or interviewer? Decide for yourself: CANT will be performing in Madison this Sunday in the High Noon Saloon at 8:00 p.m. Mirror Mirror and Blood Orange will be opening. Tickets are $12. For more information, call the High Noon Saloon at 608-268-1122.