Album proves ‘light’ on expected content

[media-credit name=’Photo courtesy of Interscope Records’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]tvotrcovsss452[/media-credit]

Time and again, TV on the Radio manages to pack an actual audio experience within the confines of its albums, but the usual dark, gritty flavor of the band’s tracks has shifted in Nine Types of Light to a polished sound that, for better or worse, lingers brightly.

It is tempting to judge the eclectic group by its past work, which has been loaded with a special sort of grief, with deep roots in blues and individual tracks that act as unique, soulful parts of a bigger whole. Upon weighing Nine Types of Light on that scale, it does, unfortunately, come up short. But only just.

The musical quality of Nine Types of Light is undeniable. The group’s sound remains fresh, distinct, original. Fans will be treated to a new facet of the group’s fluid recording, and newcomers will find a nugget of music crafted with care and some serious talent. Gush, gush, gush.

But it’s lost the signature grit.

Tunde Adebimpe’s bellows, the unabashed showcase of range and rage, the sadness, the new spin on blues, complicated sex and complicated love. The album doesn’t lack in substance and emotion. If you fell in love with TV on the Radio for those reasons, you’ll find them in the latest album, but in trace amounts. 

If the album sets out to indeed make the musical equivalent to nine types of light, the opening track “Second Song” is definitely the sunrise. Adebimpe’s vocals are as strong as ever and the track’s joyful buildup is definitely worth two or three hits on the replay button. And that effervescence carries through the album.

Slower and more sultry, “Will Do” and its heartsick tone haunts listeners, and could be played in the background of the happy ending to a fairly well-acted romantic comedy. The steamy music video is also worth a peek.

Just when I thought I would be able to describe “Killer Crane” properly, the song shifts from being lullaby to love song, with ethereal highlights gently playing alongside a wide variety of string instruments. Light references abound, and while at first this may seem tacky – light allusions in an album named after light, ok, we get it – the images of light work together perfectly with the track’s sound.

Nine Types of Light comes in two forms: an album and a movie, both to be released today. The songs’ complexities and ambiguity are the perfect mold for storytelling. The trailer shows a schizophrenic succession of gun chases, running zombies, dancing, a brief cartoon montage, weirdo-futuristic goggles and a fair amount of kissing. What it’s about is anyone’s guess, and if it isn’t good, it’ll at least be an entertaining hour of trippy footage.

“Caffeinated Conscious,” one of the first released singles, wraps the album up. Contrasting the beginning’s buildup, the final track explodes with a bold blend of vocals and synth. When it fades away, it lingers like the last few claps of an audience in an intimate theater.

4 stars out of 5