Tune into Tapes ‘N Tapes at High Noon

It’s not often that Madison gets to be the first stop on a band’s tour, being geographically overshadowed by big concert towns Milwaukee and Chicago to the near east. However, fortunately for fans of the Minnesota-based band Tapes ‘N Tapes, there is no competition in determining where to start out when coming from that northwesterly direction (Eau Claire? Tomah? Please.)

Tapes ‘N Tapes is made up of Josh Grier on vocals and guitar, Jeremy Hanson on drums, Matt Kretzman on keyboards and various instruments, and Erik Appelwick on bass guitar. Defining genre proves difficult for Tapes ‘N Tapes, as it almost always is when dealing with anything more complex than straight-up country, classic rock, or pop (you never saw N*Sync grasping at thin air attempting to describe its music; pop is as pop does.) Maybe it’s a good thing Tapes ‘N Tapes can’t give a straight answer.

“We get classified as indie rock; we like high energy, good-times,” Grier said, recommending the stupefied listener just give their music a try and surmise for his or herself.

Tapes ‘N Tapes’ MySpace page enigmatically lists “YOU” under its influences, which one could take to mean that its members are continually deriving inspiration from their environment. Grier said his listening preferences fluctuate, and it’s hard to tell how much they affect the music generated by him and the band.

“It changes on a day to day basis; when I was young I grew up listening to the Beatles and Bob Dylan. That was always being played by my parents, so I listened to a lot of that. I listened to a lot of classical music too when I was a kid because my grandma always had classical radio stations on,” he said. “Right now I’m listening to a lot of world music like Tropicalia … I’m always kind of looking for new music.”

One unique way Grier has found new artists to listen to is fairly unusual; sometimes by hearing the names of other bands that Tapes ‘N Tapes is being compared to by fans he stumbles across a new contemporary talent. It goes to prove that the band members are doing something right, and not just borrowing from the talents and styles of peers (unless unwittingly so).

“I think really comparing one band to another is a tool to help people identify a sound, but sometimes I find it interesting [who we are being compared with],” he said. “I think ‘Well, it’s funny that somebody hears that in our music because we don’t listen to them at all. Sometimes it’s just baffling to me, like, “Oh wow, I guess I’ll have to check that band out.”

While the tour hasn’t quite begun (as mentioned, Madison snagged that opening date) that doesn’t mean many other things are not still happening to parallel the nationwide touring to come. Tapes ‘N Tapes recently dropped its third studio album, Outside, and Grier foresees a new album coming soon after they settle back in Minnesota.

“The tour’s a really big thing; we just put out a record about two or three weeks ago that took away a lot of our focus, and now we’re on tour,” he said. “We’ve been writing more songs too, so I’m sure that after we’re done touring we’ll start working on that record.”

The group’s first release, The Loon, was released on its own label, Ibid Recordings. Both it and Walk it Off have been critically well-received. When speaking of recording Outside, Grier revealed a curiosity he’s considered; one that might prove difficult along the frosty shores of Minnesota’s 10,000 lakes.

“I always thought it would be cool to record something outside,” he said. Fans should be sure not to not confuse this concept with Tapes ‘N Tapes’ album, Outside. “Like out on a beach. I think it would be really hard, though, there’s lots of sand.”