A very unmerry Carey ‘Christmas’

MCalbumcover
Despite debuting at number one on Billboard’s new Holiday Digital Songs chart with the first single from, ‘Merry Christmas II You,’ MC fans may still be disappointed.[/media-credit]

When we think of Mariah Carey, it’s a shame that within the past decade, controversy has consistently overpowered that tremendous voice of hers. It’s difficult to forget about her highly publicized emotional breakdown in 2001, coinciding with the embarrassing debut of her film flop, “Glitter.”

And with age controversy over her cougarific marriage, drunken speeches at awards shows and a possible affair with Eminem, it seems as if the list goes on and on.

However, after a comeback in last year’s “Precious” and a new Christmas album on shelves yesterday, it seems Carey is fighting her way back on top. Sixteen years since the release of her first Christmas album, Merry Christmas, it’s no secret Carey delivers in the holiday cheer department.

Unfortunately, while her first album might have been one of the best-selling Christmas albums of all time, her latest follow-up, Merry Christmas II You, is a distant shadow of the Carey we once knew and loved, falling flat like a bad Christmas pudding.

The lead track “O Santa!” starts the album off with a surprising jolt of energy and enough pizazz to get people dancing. This song will definitely hold its own amongst other holiday party favorites, and will complement the playlist that will blast during the Ugly Sweater Party you’re already planning.

It sounds a bit like the Ting Tings, Carey and a couple of jingle bells had one too many glasses of hard eggnog – and it’s awesome.

The rest of the CD is an unfortunate disappointment. Many of the album’s medleys are pleasant enough, although with many other variations of Christmas classics out there, they’re nothing special. “O Little Town of Bethlehem/Little Drummer Boy” allows Carey to stretch those multi-octave vocal chords towards its grand finale, however it’s with her latest rendition of “All I Want For Christmas Is You – Extra Festive” that earned the title of most disappointing.

When the promise of “extra festivities” is put on the table, there are certain expectations that come along with it. Unfortunately, with the exception of a few jingles at the beginning of the song, it was an exact recreation of the classic that became the best selling holiday ringtone in the US. Such a letdown.

And while the choir that makes up Carey’s “backup singers” adds soul to the snore-worthy album, sometimes they overshadow Carey herself, especially in the techno-dance version of “Auld Lang Syne.” Who would have thought that was even possible among Carey’s infamous high notes? Another disappointment.

After listening to the original Merry Christmas album, it feels as if Carey’s a bit tired out the second time around. Her songs are wispy, and her voice lacks the confidence she once had during her hey day, causing an empty nostalgia for the 1994 holiday album, released at the peak of her career.

However, after 16 years, Carey’s lost her holiday spirit when it comes to Merry Christmas II You. You’ll enjoy it one time through, and a few tracks definitely stand out, but overall, the album will fizzle once you get over the initial excitement of the holidays. Give it a listen, and then recycle it with that old tree. There’s much better out there.

2 out 5 stars