The Badger Herald’s Black Friday video game roundup

Black Friday is almost here, and that means tons of great deals on video games and consoles. While everyone will be scrambling for the new Playstation 4 and Xbox One— something that not many people are likely to find until 2014 — there’s a lot else to look for this Friday. From console bundles and $10 games to the brand new games everyone’s going to want this holiday season, here are five things to go out looking for this Black Friday.

Wii U

Of the three new, next-generation consoles, Nintendo’s Wii U is likely going to be the only one you’ll be able to find Black Friday — and maybe even the rest of this year. The Wii U comes in at $299, significantly less than the competition. It’s the family console, featuring great multiplayer games like the underrated “Nintendoland” and “Super Mario 3D World.” The second screen on the Wii U gamepad is also great for families, as one can play a game on the gamepad’s screen while another family member uses the TV. With great games on the way, such as “Super Smash Bros” and “Mariokart 8,” as well as great bundles with games like “The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD,” now is a perfect time to pick up the console for your family.

3DS or 2DS

There’s another Nintendo device that you may want to consider picking up. The 3DS family of devices has seen a ridiculous influx of amazing games this year, from “Animal Crossing: New Leaf” to “Pokémon X&Y,” there’s literally a game for anyone. And chances are anyone can easily find a friend who owns one. With Black Friday sales, there’s no better time to get in on the action. You can pick up a 2DS for as little as $99 or a 3DS XL for $149, as well as special bundles with “Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon” or “The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.”

PS3 and Xbox 360

There are new consoles out! What better time to buy the old ones? The PS3 and Xbox 360 should be supported well past 2015, so if you’re not impressed with the next generation, consider picking one up. Black Friday will feature some of the best prices and bundles you’ll see with the systems — specifically, an Xbox for $199 that comes with “Halo 4” and “Tomb Raider” or a PS3 for $199 that comes with “Batman: Arkham Origins” and quite possibly the best game released this year, “The Last of Us.”

PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii Games you may have missed

With this generation heading out the door, many retailers are handing out crazy discounts on games for older systems. “Dishonored,” “Batman: Arkham City” and “Max Payne 3” will all be $10 at Walmart. You can get the current-gen versions of “Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag” and “Battlefield 4,” as well as Game of the Year nominees such as “Bioshock Infinite” and “The Last of Us” for $20 to $30 off at many retailers. If you’ve missed out on any of the best games from earlier generations, make sure to pick them up for cheaper than normal before they disappear from store shelves completely.

The latest, greatest games

A lot of the newest games won’t have discounts come Black Friday, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good time to pick them up. There are plenty of buy-one-get-one-free deals going around. If you have a Wii U, there may be no better game than “Super Mario 3D World,” which launched alongside “The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds” for the 3DS on Nov. 22. Both can be found discounted at certain retailers. For either the Xbox or Playstation, you can get games like “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Battlefield 4” or “Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag,” which, as mentioned, can actually be found discounted on current-generation consoles.

For those of you who picked up the new PS4 or Xbox One, there are a few games you could consider buying. “Resogun” for PS4 is great, and “Forza Motorsports 4” and “Dead Rising 3” for Xbox One are some of the best games in their respective franchises. But if you really want to show off the graphics power of your new black boxes, none may do it better than “NBA 2K14.”