Where to feast in Madison in honor of National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month

Peanut butter: the sweetest, fattiest and life-affirmingest food in the whole world
Meghan Horvath

College life is glamorous. After every debauchery-filled weekend, Monday inevitably rolls around, and you’re stuck facing midterms and piles of essays. It is days like these when a serious craving for comfort food kicks in. Lucky for you, it’s National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month. We’ve got you covered on the innovative ways and places to stuff your face with gobs of this heart-hugging goodness.

Barrie Burger at AJ Bombers

Whoever reasoned that a bacon cheeseburger is the ultimate grease fest of a meal apparently never graced their lips with a peanut butter bacon cheeseburger. Oh, it exists, and AJ Bombers is whipping them up real good. Don’t be turned away by the excessive richness of this glorious menu item. The Barrie Burger at AJ Bombers is a strange masterpiece you didn’t know you needed in your life until you had your first taste. One bite and those buds in your mouth will be confused. The greasiness of the cheese, the heartiness of the burger and the succulence of the bacon all manage to meld cohesively with that crunchy peanut butter. It’s as if Mary Burke and Scott Walker were to run into each other on the street and acknowledge each other on good terms. While there is some initial tension and wariness, both parties coexist in relative harmony. This is the confrontation between the burger and the peanut butter. They meet, acknowledge their competition and live on as two powerful flavors. Now isn’t that lovely.

Tofu Scramble at Mickey’s Tavern

Tofu is one of those ingredients that half the world lives in fear of. Another small percentage of the population will brag about the tofu salad they had at lunch, though we all know they had to choke it down. There are then people who have experienced tofu done right and thus, genuinely love the stuff. After trying the Tofu Scramble at Mickey’s, you will fit into the latter group of the tofu world. What makes this tofu so wonderful is that it’s marinated in peanut butter. It’s special. Some people dismiss the soy product because of its tendency to taste bland if not prepared correctly. When it’s cooked up at Mickey’s with just the right amount of rich peanut butter, this worry is null. Sautéed spinach, sweet red pepper and red onion are added to the flavorful mixture. It’s no wonder this dish is known for winning over anti-tofu folks. The fresh produce cuts the intensity of the peanut-buttered tofu and offers great contrast in terms of color and texture. Though it’s only served during their weekend brunch, the Tofu Scramble is so wonderful you’ll be craving it all week long.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Shake at DLUX

Everyone with a soul loves ice cream — except for those who have a soul but also a serious intolerance to dairy. If this is the case, you’ll just have to pop some of those magical fast-acting Lactaid pills and get yourself a Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Shake at DLUX. Yes, it is necessary. The rich chocolate ice cream blends with an intense dose of peanut butter in an amazing way, but it’s the pretzel that rocks this milkshake. The salty deliciousness of the pretzel transforms the indulgent yet somewhat typical chocolate peanut butter milkshake into something transcendental. Not only does the pretzel offer a flavor contrast, but more importantly it enhances the peanut butter flavor with its salty bite. If unique and bold flavors are what you seek, then this is the shake that will make even lactose intolerant folks jump for joy.

Spicy Peanut Curry at Lao Laan-Xang

Curry is a beautiful form of comfort food, but when the curry broth is largely composed of peanut butter, you’ve got a whole new level of comfort food. Rich, warm and bold in terms of flavor, the Spicy Peanut Curry at Lao Laan-Xang is genius. The reality is that once you’ve had a dose of fantastic curry, whether it be Japanese curry, Indian curry or Thai-style curry, there is no going back; you’re a curry fan for the long haul. Before you know it, you’ll be dreaming of the lovely simmering of coconut milk and peanut sauce for days. Lucky for you, the Spicy Peanut Curry at Lao Laan-Xang offers the remedy, so go ahead and feed that crave.