Still wanted: Leo Burt

One summer day at the Memorial Union, Jack Holzhueter, a former UW instructor, finished his lunch and was preparing to leave the Rathskeller before one of his students called out to him.

The student told Holzhueter he would be living underground in Canada, for reasons he did not disclose and Holzhueter did not press him for.

Some days later, the student, Leo Burt, was on television for setting the bomb off at Sterling Hall.

Burt is still on the lam.

Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Chris Cole said the FBI operates under the assumption Burt is still alive.

Burt’s wanted poster still said he could be armed and dangerous, even forty years later.

Prudence would dictate, Cole said, to consider Burt armed and dangerous not based on recent activity but on the severity of his original crime.

The FBI is offering a reward of $150,000 for information which would lead to his capture.

The leads, Cole said, have led the FBI literally all over the world. His wanted poster said he has ties in New York, Boston and Ontario. The last time Burt was close to being captured was September of 1970, almost forty years ago.

What has set Burt apart from the other bombers who have since served their sentences is Burt’s adaptability. He was prepared to live on the run, Cole said. He had a new name and identity set up for him.

According to Burt’s wanted poster, he has been known to use the alias Eugene Donald Fieldston.

“[We] will keep it open until it’s physically impossible he’s [alive],” Carroll said.

Before Burt departed for Canada, Holzhueter advised him: “Whatever it is that is compelling you to do this, I hope it works out all right.”

Holzhueter had a unique perspective into the life of Burt as a student rather than fugitive, the role he has played most of his life. He had even directed Burt to write for the Daily Cardinal.

“I know that Leo would’ve been devastated [by Fassnacht’s death]. He was a very serious boy,” Holhueter said.

He described Burt as “super muscular” and a devout Catholic. In an era of long hair being the popular style, Burt kept his head nearly shaved.

Not everyone thought so highly of Burt, however. In the journalism class Holzhueter taught, Burt sat behind a “very bright woman” whose writing abilities surpassed his. Burt would ask her for advice and tips repeatedly, as he was an average writer.

“He needed practice,” Holzhueter said. “She was very dismissive.”

One day, she approached Holzhueter and asked to switch seats so she was no longer by Burt, calling him a “fucking Nazi.”

Holzhueter denied her request.