Francisco Opera Theatre troupe touts circus-like theatrics in Overture Center show

The image of a stereotypical opera experience likely includes a confusing, drawn-out and, at times, boring plot, but Fresco Opera Theatre’s “Big Top Opera” is certainly not what many would expect from a night at the opera.

In this case, a night at the circus may be a better description of the experience. Complete with a bearded lady, half man/half woman, a group of stilt walkers, a wheel of death, fire breathers and many more surprises, this opera/circus mash-up pulls out all the stops. Throw in a few interactive bits involving the bearded lady’s fit of rage, a walk on a bed of nails, a live tiger audience invasion, various side shows and a clown meet and greet, and there is no way to bore an audience with this performance.

Artistic Director and Co-Founder Melanie Cain (also known for her performances in “Hansel and Gretel” and “Falstaff”) refers to this modern take on opera as a “repackaging of the genre.” Shooting to win over a younger demographic in addition to the many already committed opera lovers, Fresco Opera Company’s past shows have tried for many angles of excitement. Titles like “Dueling Divas” and “Ding Dong the Diva’s Dead” have gone to such extremes as to take place in a boxing ring, or portray a series of death scenes inspired by more well-known works such as “Frankenstein” and “The Exorcist.”

Despite the glaring differences between this modern and slightly twisted form of opera and the traditional variety, there is one unarguable similarity: the drama. Be it visual or audial, opera is known for being over-the-top, and Fresco Opera Theatre’s productions are no exception. Costumes, characters, vocals and many more aspects of opera easily serve as testament.

The concept of Fresco Opera Theatre and its new take on opera came into fruition years ago after a high-energy aria act fell through, recalls Executive Director and Co-Founder Frank Cain. Wanting to keep the drama, emotion and energy of this fallen show, the husband and wife founding team took their unique idea to the next level. They created an opera company devoted to fast-paced, original productions to interest opera-goers both young and old, catering to newcomers and seasoned veterans.

Six completed shows later, this non-profit organization has not only made a name for itself, but has become involved in giving back to the community as well. With previous charity work with organizations such as the MidWest Dachshund Rescue and free monthly opera workshops for graduated performers, Fresco Opera Theatre is surely doing its part to give back.

What better way to escape from the intensity of studying for mid-term exams or the doldrums of a cold winter fast approaching than to sit back and relax at the Overture Center’s oh-so-comfortable chairs, and let the fun and excitement come to you? With its drama, irony, adventure and even the thrill of a bit of danger, Big Top Opera will have you thoroughly entertained, at the edge of your seat in anticipation and forgetting all about those extraneous stresses. For an evening or afternoon of circus-opera fun, the only thing you have to lose is that outdated perception of opera.

More information about Fresco Opera Theatre can be found at www.frescooperatheatre.com or by checking them out on Facebook. “Big Top Opera,” a newfangled type of theater, will be showing at the Overture Center Sept. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 1 at 2:30 and 7:30 p.m