Conserve cash, eat in with sustainable, farm-grown ingredients

For many of my fellow students, the thought of spending 30 dollars for an entr?e is simply ludicrous – that’s like two 30-cases. Yet that’s what you can expect to pay at L’etoile or Harvest, arguably the best restaurants in Madison. Both are hailed as gems of the Midwest, both have been recognized by Gourmet Magazine and both are known for using local ingredients. While not everyone can afford to dine on Wisconsin Grass-fed Beef Co-op’s grilled flat iron steak with chickpea fries, harissa, pickled red onions and mint (or, frankly, have any real idea what that is), the dish is just one that Madison foodies rave about.

But just because students aren’t always willing or able to shell out $16.50 for a five-cheese cheese plate with dinner doesn’t mean we can’t experience the delights of local artisan cheese. And just because we can’t always eat our organic spinach with Cornmeal-crusted fluke doesn’t mean we can’t taste a Wisconsin-grown green. For students looking for flavorful local ingredients without price tag of a fine meal, look no farther than the Dane County Farmers’ Market.

While most of us have been to the farmers’ market, few are drawn to more than the flowers and cheese bread. This is a travesty. As the largest producer-only farmers’ market in the country, the Dane County Farmers’ Market hosts sellers of all kinds of produce, baked goods, meats and cheeses, and many vendors stock some of Madison’s favorite restaurants. Otto’s, Brasserie V and The Old Fashioned (among many others) serve Hook’s Cheese, which has won national acclaim and is made in Mineral Point. The El Dorado Grill and L’etoile use Willow Creek Farm free-range pork raised in Prairie du Sac. The Tornado Room, L’etoile and several restaurants in Chicago all covet Snug Haven’s spinach and other vegetables from Belleville. These are just a few of the vendors at the farmers’ market.

With 150 vendors every Saturday, the farmers’ market gives Madisonians the opportunity to taste the fruits of fellow Wisconsinites’ labor. By buying the local ingredients featured in the city’s most elegant dishes, market-goers not interested in the sometimes pompous fine dining experience can make their own high quality meals in the comfort of their own homes. Because the market is open until 2 p.m. on Saturday and on Wednesday nights as well, even the most hungover student can pick up a hunk of aged cheddar, a bag full of cucumbers or a few free-range chicken breasts to make a truly satisfying meal.

Some students, I’m sure, remain unconvinced of the benefits of ingredients used by yuppie-frequented restaurants. The push for consumers to buy local has caused many an eye roll, and the word “sustainability” is written off as a buzzword for leftist greenies. Yet, the farmers’ market isn’t trying to shove an environmentally-friendly doctrine down your throat – it is trying to sell you good food.

Produce from the farmers’ market is often cheaper than it is in the grocery store, stays fresher longer and has more flavor and nutrients. The farmers’ market also supports local farmers and the Wisconsin economy, but if you don’t particularly care about those things, focus on the food.

As a restaurant addict, I’ve dined at every restaurant mentioned in this column. While I appreciate the quality of the food, I honestly prefer making my own meals with local ingredients to being served them on an expertly plated dish. The food is simply lacking to me without the experience of visiting the farmers’ market and buying it myself.

I’ve been visiting the farmers’ market my entire life, and while I didn’t always care about much more than the cow cookies, I always marveled at the colors, smells and overall buzz of those Saturday mornings. You don’t have to be a foodie or even a cook to appreciate what the farmers’ market has to offer.
Sometimes a carton full of fresh blueberries is really all you need, but that shouldn’t prevent you from taking a stroll around the Square and enjoying a sample or two (or four). So if you haven’t yet this year, grab a friend and some cash this Saturday and head to the farmers’ market, where all kinds of good things await.

Allegra Dimperio ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in journalism.