‘Marigold’ blooms into local culinary favorite

Marigolds_BB
Marigold Kitchen excels at creating a number of tasty, homestyle dishes like the Citrus Braised Beef Sandwich.[/media-credit]

Walking into Marigold Kitchen is like walking into a mix of your mother’s childhood kitchen and the Madisonian version of Central Perk. Whether perusing the fresh scones and pastries behind the counter or helping yourself to a steaming cup of fresh brewed coffee, Marigold Kitchen feels like home.

Opening eight and a half years ago, co-owners and friends Phillip Hurley and John Gadau specifically chose Madison as the location for their first restaurant, despite separately training in California and meeting each other in Chicago. Contributing to their decision, Hurley and Gadau admired its solid community, vibrant political atmosphere and the familiarity of a slightly urban setting, leading them to South Pinckney Street where they would achieve their culinary dreams.

Marigold Kitchen’s reputation has only grown from where it began as a simple hangout into a funky yet cozy hotspot. Using fresh ingredients from local farms and in-house cooking, the smells alone are enough to make one want to curl up at a comfortable corner table with a book and never leave. Fresh flowers are placed throughout the eatery, while vibrant paintings and charming d?cor are enough to make anybody’s early morning a little bit brighter.

From the time of its opening, Marigold Kitchen has earned a devoted following of Madisonians who can’t seem to stay away from the food and atmosphere. Mayor Dave has fallen under the spell of their blueberry pancakes with orange-almond butter, while special buttons on the register are reserved for the regulars.

“We know their food, and we have it cooking as they walk in,” said general manager Bari Deprey, explaining how the system works for those friendly faces who keep coming back for more. “These have been regulars since the beginning, and their orders haven’t changed.”

And even those fortunate enough to spend a weekend in Madison have put Marigold Kitchen on their must list when returning for a visit, making sure to tell the staff how they just couldn’t miss the opportunity to come back.

And what have they been coming back for, you might ask? Just what makes this kitchen so different from all the rest? You’ll have to taste it to believe it. For breakfast, the Chile poached eggs with prosciutto and manchego have become a well-deserved fan (and owner) favorite, while one of their breakfast sandwiches with a side of famous Marigold potatoes are sure to make your taste buds dance.

For later meals, the grilled chicken salad boasts fresh basil, sweet corn, snap peas and toasted walnuts for a healthy afternoon lunch. Marigold Kitchen regulars can’t help but love the smoked turkey grilled cheese with homemade fig jam, but as Deprey said with a sigh, “It’s a really hard question, which is a good thing. Sweet or savory, everything is good.”

In the midst of a community with such avid fans, Marigold Kitchen has been extremely involved with the citizens of Madison. Utilizing the resources of fresh foods from markets and farms, the kitchen hopes to expand their catering to reach further out into the community. Furthermore, the charming location has been used for graduation parties, wedding receptions and other special occasions for those who want to incorporate a little bit of Marigold Kitchen’s comfort and energy into their personal lives.

From its spirit to the delectable meals found cooking behind the counter, Marigold Kitchen really does stand out from the rest. “There’s just an energy when you come in,” Deprey said. “When you come here, you’re having an experience. The service, the quality of food, the colors, the music — you don’t get that anywhere in Madison. Marigold Kitchen is memorable.”