Interior visions of restaurants, bold fashion adorns ‘Design 2016’

Individual pieces from UW students stand out in free-flowing exhibit at School of Human Ecology
Henry Solotaroff-Webber

Stunning textiles, imaginative interior spaces and creative clothing are all on display right now at the “Design 2016” exhibit at University of Wisconsin’s School of Human Ecology Building.

Henry Solotaroff-Webber/The Badger Herald

“Design” is a juried event tracing back to 1992, in which students who have taken courses in Design Studies or Landscape Architecture submit their work to a jury. These three jurors then select pieces based on not only merit, but also on how they will fit into a cohesive exhibit.

This year’s iteration has lived up to the event’s legacy, and has produced brilliant, individual pieces while simultaneously coalescing into a free-flowing exhibit.

One piece that immediately stands out is the sprawling, pink wallpaper that adorns the back wall of the exhibit. The athletic figures seem trapped in kinetic stasis within the realm of the paper. The flowers, however, offer a contrasting serenity to the violent action of the athletes.

Yeonhee Cheong’s textile “Unpublished — Korean War” attacks the eyes with its fierce, digitally-printed colors. The abstract imagery prompts contemplation in the viewer.

Another piece worth mentioning is the layout of the interior “Ivy,” a restaurant billed as “Madison’s picnic place” by Lydia Renshaw, its designer. Renshaw imagines a restaurant that would be a breath of fresh air in Madison, encompassing its patrons in friendly foliage and warmth. For this effort, Renshaw deservedly won best concept.

On the fashion side, Aaron Kellerhuis won best technique for his plaid shirt project. The shirt is an updated take on a classic clothing piece, where the central portion stays true to form, but the arms forego the pattern entirely.

Another clothing piece that is sure to catch the eye is Daisy Lopez’s navy trench coat, situated in the middle of the room. The garment bleeds a colorful pattern out of its lustrous navy core.

Credit is also due to the jurors for arranging the exhibit space. The exposed light fixtures contribute proper lighting for all of the pieces, while at the same time promotes a peaceful viewing experience.

“Design 2016” is worth checking out to see what some of UW’s best, yet mostly unheralded, creatives have been up to over the past year.

The exhibit will run until April 22.