Sigrid shows off raw talent in first Madison performance

Singing sounded easy when coming from Europe’s latest phenom Saturday night
Ben Sefarbi
Sigrid brought an insurmountable amount of positive energy to Madison.

The Majestic Theatre welcomed Norway’s hottest musical talent Saturday night in Madison.

The ascending musician promotes anthems of optimistic and positive emotions, even progressive and feminist records within the ever-expanding pop genre. The new wave Sigrid is riding has earned her quite the following, selling out the Madison venue more than a week before she even touched down in the U.S. 

Her actual voice is one thing, but her phenomenal songwriting, coupled with elite production made Sigrid a hot ticket this weekend in the state’s capital.

Wearing watermelon print Nikes and denim, Sigrid came out with bubbly energy to the downtown crowd in attendance. Working through her “Sucker Punch” North American tour, the pop sensation was quick to impress with her vocal abilities.

Pop has yet another force to be reckoned with. 
Ben Sefarbi/The Badger Herald

Tracks from her latest record and name of her tour, “Sucker Punch,” somehow sounded disproportionately better live. Maybe credit belongs to the sound technicians, or perhaps Sigrid’s voice carries more weight than originally anticipated. Falsettos were flawless, complementing a unique, yet clear European accent in songs like “In Vain” and “Business Dinners.”

Sigrid stands tall in her small frame, with a voice much larger than any crowd she sings for. When you have such a gift, it’s no surprise you’re confident. The pop star was obviously comfortable on stage, smiling and vibing to “Sight of You” with genuine enjoyment of the scene she was in.

The 23-year-old made light of a lone fan coincidentally underneath a small plume of smoke by chanting repeatedly, “I think the weed, I think the weed.”

Sigrid’s ability to go in and out of a head-scratching interaction with a member of the crowd — back to singing effortlessly — was a treat to all. This moment would be heightened through a fun rendition of “Level Up.”

‘Wiscansin’ goes boating with T-Pain, The Lonely Island at Summerfest

Sigrid is one of those artists you have to watch and not just listen to. Her music videos can’t be ignored, as they give a taste inside the mind of a woman who may be one of the most underrated artists this calendar year. A full-body performance displayed her passion for catchy, yet original music in a genre that often gets repeated or, at the very least, tiresome. 

Anyone with appreciation of raw talent will enjoy a live performance from Sigrid. Unfortunately, you may have to shell out quite a bit more from your wallet to catch a glimpse of a future legend the next time she comes around.