Clear those post-break blues with a boost energy at the end of the semester

Wipe away end-of-school apathy with new tricks to boost productivity
How people dances to Tedeschi Trucks ... probably.
Gif courtesy of fydanaykroyd.tumblr.com / Giphy
How people dances to Tedeschi Trucks … probably.

I suggest not doing too much math if you’re faint of heart. Given that the University of Wisconsin has reduced the semester to 14 weeks, there’s now only six weeks left to complete all of the tasks left in the school year.

Yep, that’s right — six weeks.

Now, while we all take some time to breathe, it’s important to determine how to tackle these last weeks with control and grace. Here are a couple of tricks to keep post-break blues at bay and finish the semester strong.

Meaningful Monday: Uncertainty doesn’t end in high school

Make a list, check it twice

With large projects, papers and exams looming on the horizon, it’s crucial not to accidentally miss a deadline and watch as your grades start tumbling down. Making a list of all deadlines for the coming weeks gives an extra reminder of what needs to be done amid any social obligations. It can often make work seem more manageable, as setting  deadlines within the grand context of the rest of the semester elucidates how much time is actually left to complete this work.

Once the list is completed, consult your syllabi and mark how much of the final grade each assignment is worth. This extra layer of math puts the relative importance of the work into perspective. When crunched for time, it’s always a wise decision to put more effort into the more heavily-weighted assignment. Even if it feels like the smaller piece might miss the mark, usually the risk is minimal and will not affect a final grade too much.

Meaningful Monday: You’re not alone, most of us are swamped

Try something new around town

With so many different restaurants, shops and experiences around campus, it’s easy to forgot to try every place which catches your eye. Sampling the unique features of Madison is especially important for students who do not call Madison home in the summer, as time is running short to try these local spots before they inevitably go out of business over the summer (RIP Lotsa and Pita Pit). Various performances for campus groups will also occur in this last month of school, so checking out a performance might introduce you to a newfound love for art.

Find some ‘me time’

No matter what, nothing refreshes the soul quite like some alone time. Take a nap, eat alone or go on a walk around town — taking this time for yourself will seem to create more time for meaningful work.