Cold War Kids deliver seasoned stage performance at Majestic

Kick it in gear!
Derek Bauer

Formed in 2004, Cold War Kids is no stranger to live performances, and their show at the Majestic March 14 proved they still got it after all these years.

With a set list filled with both old and new music, the band was able to entertain both college students as well as an older crowd.

The Majestic stage was blanketed in colorful lights as the band took the stage. There was a small light up sign that read “L.A. Divine,” the name of their upcoming album. The audience’s roaring applause was soon drowned out by the band as they began to play “All This Could Be Yours,” the opening song of their 2014 record Hold My Home.

Cold War Kids deliver seasoned indie rock performance for ecstatic Majestic crowd

The show progressed in a standard fashion with back-to-back songs. Occasionally the lead singer, Nathan Willett, would make a quick, muffled remark — usually to name the upcoming track.

After no time at all, the band began to play their 10-year-old hit, “Hang Me Up To Dry” as the fifth track on the set list. The crowd’s enthusiasm was at an all-time high — this track remains one of the band’s most well-known.

The excitement level fluctuated from song to song. But audience participation was not as extreme as one would expect. Many adults in the audience did nothing but sway or chat with the people next to them. It wasn’t until the band played songs like “Love Is Mystical” and “First” that the crowd started moving more.

Willett seemed low on energy himself. It wasn’t until the final song (pre-encore), “Bitter Poem,” that he and the audience clapped in unison to the beat. Before long, the show was over. But five minutes later, Cold War Kids reclaimed the stage for an encore performance.

Hitlist: Get over your post-spring break blues with these tunes

The audience began singing along to the seemingly familiar lyrics until it clicked — they were singing Rihanna. “Love On The Brain” blasted through the venue with everyone singing along. Singing another artist’s work for an encore seems odd, so Cold War Kids followed the cover with a song of their own, “Mexican Dogs.”

Cold War Kids proved they have a history of making jams, but could make some improvements in their live performance energy. But then again, having been established for 17 years could take some of the energy out of you. L.A. Divine is sure to deliver catchy tunes with a subsequent tour to follow, so don’t worry if you missed them this time around.